*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290642-Explanations
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2290642
Flash Fiction
Explanations

“Gramp, you always tell me to watch out for the ghosts, there are no ghosts! I’m not five anymore.

“Is that what you think? That I’m trying to scare you?

“Why do you say that then?”

“Anybody who doesn’t believe in ghosts is a fool.”

“Gramp! Come on, you just said that to keep me from running off like I used to when I was younger. I’m twelve now, I’m careful, you don’t have to worry about me. You have been my only parent since before I was old enough to even know most kids have a mother and father. I trust you, why don’t you trust me?”

“I do trust you.”

“Then why do you still tell me to watch out for ghosts?”

“Because I don’t want us to miss them when they come.”

“Ah, what?”

“I’ve been waiting for a long time, when it happens I want you to be ready.”

“When what happens?”

“When your parents come to help me cross over, they promised they would, if I would take care of you.”

Worrying that Grampa was getting senile, Alex went along a bit. “Why couldn’t they stay?” he asked as seriously as he could. “You stayed…”

“I didn’t have a job to do like they did. They didn’t want to go, but the job was too important, so they asked me to stay.”

“What job?”

“I don’t know, but as soon as it’s done they will come. That’s why I always tell you to watch out for them.”

Alex had a lot of trouble sleeping after that conversation, but he never wandered off again. Much to the relief of his grandfather, who, he knew, would say anything to keep him safe.

And his parents, who he didn’t know, but were finally almost done with their mission.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290642-Explanations