*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290985-That-Book
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2290985
Flash Fiction
That Book

I peeked into Alma’s room. She was there on the floor, surrounded by what seemed to be almost every book from her bookcase. In her hand was one of the new “Easy Readers” her teacher had suggested for her.

Alma had been into reading books since she was able to lift one. At first the colors, and the texture as she chewed on them with her teeth-less gums. Then later the pictures as she got involved in colors and shapes, often “reading” them upside-down, because all they were to her were lively colors and shapes.

Soon though, she started noticing things and starting to recognize when they were a thing rather than just a color or a shape. Still often upside down, but that was OK, because things can be upside down and still be recognized. It seemed very exciting to Alma that she was able to find things on all the pages.

Today, she was “reading” one of the new books we had just gotten for her. I went in and sat next to her, asking if she liked the new book.

Alma had just turned a page, and there was a picture of a car. “Car” she said, out-loud.

Excited to encourage her, I said, “That’s right! That’s a car, and that word says ‘car.’” I pointed to each letter, “C-A-R, car!”

Alma looked up, smiling, and so very excited, she held up the book, actually giving it a hug. Then said, as sincerely as anyone could ever be, “This is the best book I've ever read."

It made my day.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290985-That-Book