*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291414-My-Day-Off
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2291414
Flash Fiction
My Day Off

It was my day off, but I had to mail a letter, well, a bill, well…an overdue bill, that I should have mailed a week ago. I’m not usually casual about bills. I mail so few, compared to online. But this one was a bit important and I didn’t have the money in the bank to pay it online, but would by tomorrow! So…I figured if it was mail stamped today, and they cashed the check when they got it, it wouldn’t bounce and I’d be golden!

Unfortunately, I also forgot the plan until late in the day… I had to get it into the post office to get the date stamp I needed, and the post office closes at five. The clock said four-forty-five. Panic struct!

Running to the car, I glanced up at the sky to see how far the sun had gone down. I was so anticipating the time change, pretty sick of “evening” being night… As soon as the time changed we’d have another hour of light right off the bat and it just gets better after that. It was cloudy out, so already turning dark, but the cloud above me stopped me in my tracks. It literally seemed to be moving toward me at an enormous speed. Plus, it was talking!

“You’ll never make it! Ha, ha, ha….”

Ducking quickly, I covered my head, and then slowly looked up. Which is when I also woke up, in a sweat, laying on my sofa, it was only noon.

After a quick shower, I got the letter to the post office in plenty of time. On the way home, I stopped and got myself some strong coffee. I decided to spend the afternoon revamping my budget so this never happens again!

But… it was my day off…
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291414-My-Day-Off