*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291723-Close-Call
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2291723
Flash Fiction
Close Call

“I know the answer!” John waved his hand frantically.

Several other hands were raised, John usually wasn’t among them. In the seconds she had before she had to pick someone, her brain was going two hundred miles an hour.

John never raised his hand. The fact that he did this time was exciting, but then… John was extremely shy. If he was right, it could help him gain much needed confidence. If he had it wrong… he may never raise his hand again. Kindergarteners can be cruel.

She wavered, should she call on him, taking the chance of him having the right answer, or call on someone else… and maybe crush his future confidence. Either could happen, if he was about to say the wrong answer…

Then, an idea! She sneezed! Fake, but wonderfully realistic! Slapping her hand over her nose and mouth, she ran to the back of her desk grabbing a tissue. The children seemed in shock as she walked back to the front.

“Oh, my goodness! I am so sorry! Excuse me! Did I sound like an explosion??”

Finally, the kids giggled, she had stopped the moment. Now she could carry on down a different road.

Picking up her paper, she said, “You know what? I think it’s Art Time!” The kids cheered, even John.

Later she went up to John, “I just remembered, you were going to answer that question when I sneezed, weren’t you! I’m so proud of you for raising your hand!”

And John said, “Was the answer Maytown?”

“How clever of you! You keep raising your hand, I’ll call on you next time! Be sure to study!” off he went, smiling.

Now it was really up to fate, she thought, since the question she’d asked was, ‘What foods do we get from chickens?’
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291723-Close-Call