*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291805-It-Happens
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2291805
Flash Fiction
It Happens

“Remember when those birds built a nest in the corner of our porch?” Sandy said, gazing out the window over her morning coffee.

“Yeah, I do,” Frank said, standing at the counter over his butter and peanut butter, while he waited for his toast to pop up.

“That was so sweet, watching the mom sit on her eggs while the dad flew back and forth to feed her.”

“Yeah…” Frank said, juggling his hot toast onto the counter.

“And then when the eggs hatched! The mom protecting the babies and the dad flying back and forth feeding everyone. So sweet!”

“Yeah…” Frank muttered coming to the table with his toast and coffee.

“That was an odd response…” Sandy said.

“Well, those parts were nice, but you seem to have forgotten the rest.”

“The rest?”

“Yes, first we had to stop using that side of the porch for most of the spring. Second there were bird droppings everywhere that I had to soak off the porch once we could go over there, and then the little chips and scratches on the railings where they always landed and sat while the parents taught the kids to actually fly… those things…”

“Oh… I guess I forgot about that.”

“I’ll never forget about that! That was a load of work to get the porch back in shape!”

“Well, thank you for doing that, it looks wonderful now.”

“You’re welcome!”

“And Frank?”

“Yes?”

“They did it again…” she pointed up to a half-built nest on the porch. “Be nice to them!” she called as Frank grabbed the broom and ran out the door.
Three days later they saw the new nest, right over the front door… and already full of eggs.

They ended up using the back door all spring. The marriage survived.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291805-It-Happens