*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291896-The-Short-Way
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2291896
Flash Fiction
The Short Way

“You’re going to be late.”

“Am not!” said Tom, busily getting his stuff together.

“What do you mean, it takes ten minutes to walk there and the bell rings in fifteen minutes and you need to be in line.”

“It takes ten minutes if you go by Grove street. But if you go the short way, only six.”

“You wouldn’t dare!”

“Oh, yes I would.”

“But what if Mr. Alberts is out?”

“He won’t be! It’s too early and he’s like two hundred years old! There is no way he’s going to be sitting there this early in the morning.”

“Pffft, so you say…”

“Watch me!”

“I can’t I’ll already be at school…” out he went.

Starting up Sprite Street, the first thing he saw was Mr. Alberts sitting on his porch. ‘Rats!’ he thought, ‘How can I cut through his yard if he’s right there?’

“Boy! Boy!” suddenly Mr. Alberts called. “Can you help me?”

Confused at this turn of events, he said, “Yes?” as politely as possible.

“I locked myself out and I can’t get through the window, if I help you get through, can you open the door for me?”

Good gravy!

The ordeal was explained, and carried out, in minutes. Mr. Alberts was back inside and Tom cut through his yard, with permission, and made it to school on time.

“So, you did it,” Jeff said, later when they crossed paths.

“Told ya,” said Jeff smarty pants like.

“Are you gonna do it tomorrow too?” Jeff asked.

“Nah, I was just running late today…”

“Huh…” but Jeff was gone.

After being in Mr. Albert’s house for just a minute, Jeff never wanted to go back! Though he had no idea what a taxidermist did, he definitely never wanted to ever, ever, go near that house again!
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291896-The-Short-Way