*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293289-A-Dark-Illusion
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2293289
An elven prince journeys to a dark land to fight goblins, or so he thinks
The white sails ballooned with the ceaseless wind, driving the three wooden ships creaking and rocking towards the distant dark shore.

“Have you ever been to the Twilight Lands?” the elven Prince Elbron asked his chief guard as they stood on the deck.

“Once, long ago,” replied Deldar gravely. “It was ever a place of war, and it has only become more dangerous since then. If duty had not bound me otherwise, I would not return.”

The Prince looked out at the shadowy green land growing ahead of them. From this vantage point, dimly lit by the sun low in the sky, it appeared quiet and peaceful.

“I myself have never been to the lands without sun where the goblins dwell,” said the Prince. “But I'm sure we'll get used to it soon enough. I look forward to using my sword.”

The ships raced into the sandy beaches at speed, and came to rest some way above the water line. The elves disembarked quickly, and Elbron saw a small group approaching them.

“Greetings,” said a tall elf at the head of the group. “Prince Elbron,” he said, bowing. “I am Commander Lathar of the First Fort. You have arrived just in time. We spotted a large goblin army marching from the south-east and we expect them to attack soon. Are your men well rested?”

“Well enough,” said the Prince.

“Then leave your possessions on the ships - they will be safe - and march with us. We shall link up with the main army.”

The Prince and three hundred elves followed the Commander into the hilly country beyond the beach. He barely noticed the sky turning a dark purple and the sunlight reduced to a thin yellow strip on the horizon behind him. Above him lights twinkled.

“Are those...stars?” he asked Deldar.

“Yes. Lucky are the goblins to live under such wondrous lights.”

“They wouldn't appreciate them,” said Elbron. He suddenly doubted himself, remembering he had never spoken to a goblin before.

After two marches they came to a long valley where a goblin army had set up an encampment. Fires blazed in the darkness, and Elbron heard yelps of delight and hoarse singing.

He pulled his sword out of its sheath on his back. Skullslicer the Magnificent, he had named it, an enormous greatsword nearly as tall as the Prince himself, and wider than his outstretched hand.

“What are we waiting for?” he asked, lifting the heavy weapon.

“We need to meet the other elves. They are somewhere around here.”

Suddenly an elderly man with a long white beard appeared among them.

“Who are you?” challenged the Prince, holding his sword out threateningly.

“Put that stupid sword away,” chided the bearded man. “I am no enemy. I am Andloc.”

“Andloc the Wizard? I'm sorry.” Elbron lowered his sword.

“The other elves are waiting just over there,” he pointed to a nearby hillock. “Follow me.”

Elbron reckoned there must be around six or seven hundred elves in total. It was hard to tell if the number of goblins in the valley below was greater. Commander Lathar told him not to worry. “The Wizard is worth a thousand elves,” he grinned.

The elves crept down the sides of the rocky valley, stepping softly over the loose stones to avoid alerting their enemy. Once they were within range, elven bowmen fired into the goblin encampment.

Howls of anger and surprise came from the enemy camp, and before long the goblins began to gather together to investigate. Soon it looked like the entire encampment was moving in their direction. Elbron could see hundreds of dark figures racing towards them.

Suddenly the goblin fires were put out, and only the starlight gave a hint to their enemy's position. Elbron had never been in such darkness before and his eyes strained to see. He gripped his sword tightly.

Shouts came nearby. Before he could respond, a flash of lightning lit up the valley.

Andloc the Wizard fired streams of white lightning at the goblins. He aimed his staff left then right, knocking down row upon row of the creatures. The smell of burnt flesh filled the air.

“Get ready to charge,” yelled the wizard. With one last burst he lit up the valley as if the sun had come to that dark corner of the world. Many of the goblins covered their eyes. The elves charged.

Prince Elbron made his first kill that day. A small goblin trying to hide got the sharp end of his enormous sword through his back. Elbron spent some time trying to free the goblin's body from his blade.

“Get a smaller sword next time,” said an elf passing by, who must have come from the First Fort. None of his own army would dare speak to him like that.

The battle was soon over. The surviving goblins fled, and only a handful of elves had lost their lives.

They marched back to the First Fort, singing elven victory songs.

__________________

In a stony chamber of the ruined Fort, the leaders of the elves held a meeting. Outside the only sound was the rush of the waves on the shore.

“We have won a great victory,” said Prince Elbron. “Now is the time to press for peace. It is partly why I was sent here.”

“Peace?” the wizard gasped. “You do not know these goblins. They will not have peace, not under their Dark Lord. Not until they have pushed the elves out of the Twilight Lands. And then there will be nothing to stop them from reaching the elvish home islands.”

“That is true,” said Commander Lathar.

"If you've had enough foolish talk of peace, we should rebuild the southern walls and prepare for the next assault. Now I'm going to meditate.” He stormed off.

The Commander spoke again. “I was born and raised here in the Twilight Lands. We used to hold a few villages to the south. They're gone now. The goblins have turned it all to ruin, and they drill deep in the earth for who knows what. If it wasn't for the wizard, we would have been chased away a long time ago.

“It is true we owe the wizard much, but he is so caught up in this war that he cannot see a way out. I dare not speak up against him - he is a powerful and mysterious being - but if there is a chance for peace, I would gladly take it.”

“Good,” said the Prince. “I propose that I travel south with a small group and we negotiate with the goblins.”

“It will be very dangerous.”

“I fear nothing.”

“Then you are either brave or...you are very brave, Prince.”

__________________

Prince Elbron and his followers made their way to a ruined village, a few leagues south of the First Fort. In the centre of the broken stone buildings a crowd of goblins sat around a campfire.

“I thought we had scattered them after the battle,” said the Prince.

“We did,” replied their guide. “These must be some of the survivors.”

“Let us approach them.”

“This seems foolish.”

“You may turn back if you wish.”

The guide thought for a moment, then replied, “I'd better come along with you.”

They stepped into the middle of the goblins, but did not draw their weapons.

“I come in peace,” said the Prince. “Who leads here?”

“I do,” said a large goblin emerging from a house. He was squat with a large brow, but his eyes looked sharp. “I am Grokh. What do you want? You'd better be quick or we'll cut you into pieces.”

“I wish to discuss peace terms. You shall withdraw from all the old elvish lands here, and will not attack us again. If you do not agree, then we will kill every one of you. You saw what happened in the battle.”

There was a murmur among the goblins. Some of them sounded surprised.

“You speak fairly,” said Grokh. “But when shall we be avenged for our friends who died at the hands of elves and their demonic wizard? What of our demands?”

The goblins roared in approval.

“I would be willing to negotiate compensation,” said the Prince.

The goblin leader stood open-mouthed. “Really? Then perhaps you'd better come back to our Dark Lord's tower and negotiate with him.”

“I agree,” said the Prince.

“Lay down your weapon to prove your intentions,” said Grokh.

The Prince placed his enormous sword on the ground. The other elves followed him.

At that, the goblins cut down the Prince's companions. Two goblins held each of his arms and he was wrestled to the ground.

“Tie him up,” laughed Grokh. “And make sure he gets some sleeping juice.”

__________________

When Prince Elbron awoke, he was on a wagon being pulled by some unknown creature. A dark canvas lay over the cart. Outside all was dark. His eyes were bleary but he recognised Grokh sitting over him.

“You're awake,” said Grokh kindly.

“Where am I?”

“You're a long way from home. We're approaching the Dark Lord's tower. He's looking forward to seeing you, so I hear.”

"Where are the others?"

"The other elves? Dead I'm afraid. Maybe now you'll know how it feels."

The Prince Elbron sighed, and shivered.

“It's so cold,” he said. “How do you cope? With the darkness and the cold.”

“We're used to it,” said Grokh. “We have more body fat than you, and our eyes are bigger. I might ask you a similar question about your sunshine. How do you manage to live under such intense light all day long?”

"We're used to it," replied the Prince. “You know I meant what I said, about wanting peace.”

“That is good. I am also weary of this war. But it isn't up to me. The Dark Lord will decide. He is wise.”

Prince Elbron closed his eyes and heard nothing but the sound of the trotting beast.

__________________

“Prince Elbron,” the person speaking was strange in appearance, with wood-brown skin, unlike the green hue of elves or goblins. His clothing was indescribable. They were in an unusual looking room, clean but unnatural.

“Yes,” replied the Prince. “Are you the Dark Lord?”

The person smiled. “That's what they call me. But I am no magical being. I am a human. We come from another world. Look out of that window over there.”

The Prince peered through the glass portal. At first he saw only stars, then he spotted a blue ball with green patches below him, like nothing he had ever imagined before.

“What is this?”

“That is your world, where you elves and goblins live out your days. A fine place, and one of the richest sources of iridium in the galaxy.”

The Prince was speechless.

“Do not worry, you will not be harmed. Do you know your fellow goblins are expert miners? They are the same species as you actually. All they need is a little motivation and they will dig all the iridium we want. War is a great motivator. We cannot stop the war.

"We have considered using elves for mining, but I'm sure you'll admit that goblin industry is years ahead of yours. And it is easiest to rule by dividing the population against each other. You'll understand some day.

“You see, we have wars of our own to fight, against these damn crab people. Iridium is the most precious metal in the galaxy. It powers our ships. That's why we are exploiting your planet. It's nothing personal. If anything, we admire your civilisation. It reminds us of fictional stories in our own culture. Very curious, and very popular too.

"I'm sure you're wondering why we picked you. We have long wanted to fetch an elf for our zoo on Earth, but a wizard cannot kidnap one as easily as a Dark Lord. You fit the specification perfectly - you gave yourself up to the goblins so willingly. Don't worry though, you'll finally be able to live in peace.”
© Copyright 2023 BrokenPen (brokenpen7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293289-A-Dark-Illusion