*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293554-The-Nkki
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Mahe
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2293554
A creature from Nordic mythology, a näkki, is tired of being deemed as unfamiliar.
The näkki sat on a moss-covered rock, playing his oak-wood violin with a birch branch. He physically resembled a lean, nude man three years after thirty, but actually was as old as the Finnish streams. One eye was teal but darkened with sadness, and the other was covered by his hair - long as a river and dark as the depths of his domain.

His pale skin was burnt and stained in places with red. He was exhausted, but there were still hundreds of hunters out there to chase him. He had successfully escaped so far, but wondered how long he could continue to do so. How many times has it been? How many times have hunts like this happened to me so far? Constantly being persecuted and othered…will this suffering last for as long as I live?

Suddenly, the näkki stopped playing and rolled down the rock. Dropping his violin, he landed with both a soft thud and a splash. The touch of the cold snow and water soothed his tired flesh. He realised his time had come.

The crunching of snow abruptly woke him up, as though something was approaching. The näkki raised his head with a glare, as a plainly-dressed young woman stood in the dim light, covered by a brown fur cloak. A leather belt with animal bones and a dagger was strapped to her waist. Long, ash-blonde hair spilled from the cloak’s hood, and her skin was as white as the snow itself. There was no fear in her moonstruck turquoise eyes, only concern.

“Are you alright?” Her voice was quiet, without a hint of anger or fear. If those hunters return, will she tell them where I am? Yes, I’m sure she would, and I’ll end up being persecuted again. Humans are all the same. I know that she’s already labelled me a monster and wants to turn that dagger on me, just like everyone else before her. Why does it have to be this way?

“Go away, or I’ll kill you.” He warned the woman in a low voice while slowly raising himself up.

“So you want to die?”

“How do you know?”

“Your injuries. You might be a spirit, but your body has been touched by iron, and you’ll die if they’re not tended to. Will you let me tend to them? I can do it here for the minor ones.”

“There’s no need for that.” The näkki instinctively backed away when she approached. “It’s just as you said - I wish to die.”

“But why?” Without saying a word, she just looked at him with sadness in her eyes.

“We’re almost there! This way!” The voices of people suddenly echoed in the distance as he spotted the far-off lights of torches, having forgotten the danger he was in. Should I run? Or should I fight? It’s useless - I don’t have the strength to do either. Perhaps I should just end my own life here. The flickering flames steadily drew closer, but just as the näkki froze, he felt a gentle touch.

“Stay quiet, and leave this to me.” While she spoke, he felt a strange warm force covering his body with a wave of her hand. So she practises magic, he realised.

“You there, girl! What are you doing here?” One hunter on horseback addressed her harshly.

“The moon is so beautiful tonight, sir. I thought I’d take a walk.”

“Out here? Oh, never mind! Have you seen a monster? It’s a näkki, a demonic water spirit.”

“Yes, it went that way.” The woman pointed in the direction up ahead.

“I see. You’re lucky you’re still alive - that monster may sport a handsome face, but he’s incredibly cunning. When he plays his violin, he lures hundreds of innocent people to the depths of his domain. If you value your life, get back to the village.” The hunters left, disappearing into the night.

With a wave of her hand, the strange warmth that covered his body slowly vanished. “It’s alright now. Let’s take care of those wounds.”

“Why would you…” Anger surged inside of him. “Why do you think I’ll let you live? As he said, I’ve drowned countless people.” The näkki glared at the young woman with a look of boiling rage and fear. “Go away, while you’re still alive and not drowning. If you wanted to kill me, you would’ve done it by now.”

“I don’t think you have to hasten your death. That sorrow, to believe your life is a sin…”

“What do you know!? What do you know of my sorrow!? How much I’ve hurt, how many I’ve drowned…all the loneliness, the struggle to survive… how can you possibly know anything?!”

“I don’t know.” She looked firmly at him, her voice as soft as ever. “So please tell me - I can wait. Please, tell me how you’ve made it this far.”

Suddenly, the anger subsided. Or rather, he had lost the energy to even be angry. When she asked to hear his story, he realised what his life was missing - someone who would listen to him. This stranger in front of him, lending him her ear without judgement - he thought people like her no longer existed.

“The truth is, I never wanted to drown people, and be labelled the monster of the lakes. All I wanted… was companionship.” He admitted. “But it’s too late for that now - my soul is drenched in sin. I beg of you, please go. I want to die in peace.”

“So you believe your life is a sin?”

“That’s right, I don’t even know how to justify living anymore. I lost my desire to live long ago. No, maybe I lost my right to want to live.”

The young woman stood quietly for a moment, lost in thought over something that seemed to cause her pain. “If that’s so,” she continued in a quiet, clear voice, “If you don't want to live, and don't think you deserve to live, then I’ll wish it for you.” Her gentle words fulfilled his soul with her thoughtfulness.

“Why are you telling me to keep living? Why aren’t you afraid of me?”

“Because there are no monsters to be afraid of here.” Her smile was kind, with a hint of sadness. He originally wanted to die, but now he wanted to get closer to her soul.

“Then I’ll keep living a little longer, if that’s what you want.” Staring into his eyes, she smiled in appreciation and relief.

“My name is Helve. And you, näkki?”

“Toivo. It means hope.”
© Copyright 2023 Mahe (librahorse02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293554-The-Nkki