*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293679-Bouncing
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #2293679
Desperately alone again, loneliness indeed kills you inside deep down
Lena sat alone in her small apartment, staring at the empty space where her ex-boyfriend's belongings used to be. The nights were always the hardest, and she found herself sinking deeper into loneliness with each passing day.

"I pretended I'm glad you went away," she whispered to herself, the lyrics of a familiar song echoing in her mind.

She had always loved that song, but now it felt like it was written just for her. The four walls of her apartment felt like they were closing in on her, suffocating her with memories of the past.

Lena tried to distract herself by watching TV, but she couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness. She knew she had to do something to break out of this cycle of despair.

She decided to call her best friend, Rachel, for a night out. Maybe a change of scenery would do her some good.

"Hey, girl! How are you doing?" Rachel answered the phone, her voice chipper and full of energy.

"I'm not doing so great," Lena admitted. "I'm just feeling really lonely lately."

Rachel listened intently, offering words of comfort and support. "Why don't we go out tonight? I know this new bar that just opened up, and we can dance the night away. It'll be fun!"

Lena hesitated for a moment, but then she realized that Rachel was right. She needed to get out of the apartment and have some fun.

"Okay, let's do it," she said, mustering up some enthusiasm.

As they got ready to go out, Lena couldn't help but think about her ex-boyfriend. She had loved him so deeply, but she had never been able to tell him how she really felt. Now, he was gone, and she was left with nothing but regrets.

"Like a clown, I put on a show," she said to Rachel, her voice trembling. "I acted like everything was okay, but deep down, I was dying inside."

Rachel hugged her tightly. "I know, sweetie. But tonight, we're going to forget about all of that and have some fun."

The bar was crowded and loud, but Lena felt a spark of excitement as she stepped inside. Rachel grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the dance floor, where they swayed to the beat of the music.

For a while, Lena forgot about everything else. She let herself get lost in the music and the moment, feeling the weight of her sadness lift just a little bit.

But as the night wore on, the reality of her situation came crashing back down on her. She looked around the crowded bar, feeling more alone than ever before.

"Why didn't I say the things I needed to say?" she asked Rachel, her voice cracking. "How could I let my angel get away?"

Rachel hugged her again, sensing her pain. "You did the best you could, Lena. You loved him, and that's all that matters."

Lena tried to push away the feeling of despair that threatened to swallow her whole. She closed her eyes and let the music wash over her, hoping to find some solace in the rhythm.

But as the night came to a close, Lena couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness. "Now my world is just a-tumblin' down," she said, tears streaming down her face. "I can see it so clearly, but he's nowhere around."

Rachel held her as she cried, promising to be there for her no matter what. Lena knew that the road ahead wouldn't be easy, but at least she had her best friend by her side.

As she stumbled back into her apartment, Lena realized that the days were still going to be sad. But maybe, just maybe, she could find a way to make it through. She knew she couldn't keep wallowing in her sadness forever, even if it felt like the easiest thing to do.

She grabbed her laptop and opened up a blank document, letting her fingers tap away at the keys. Writing had always been her solace, and she hoped that it would help her find some clarity in the midst of her pain.

"I'm dying inside, and nobody knows it but me," she typed, the words flowing from her like a stream of consciousness. "I miss him so much, but I know I have to move on. I have to find a way to let go of the past and embrace the future."

Lena poured her heart out onto the page, letting all of her emotions spill out in a cathartic release. She wrote about the good times she had shared with her ex-boyfriend, but she also wrote about the ways in which he had hurt her.

As she wrote, Lena realized that she had been holding onto the idea of their relationship more than the relationship itself. She had been so focused on what could have been that she had forgotten to see the reality of the situation.

She took a deep breath and closed her laptop, feeling a sense of relief wash over her. It was time to start moving on, even if it meant taking small steps at a time.

The next day, Lena woke up feeling a little bit lighter. She got dressed and decided to go for a walk, hoping to clear her mind and get some fresh air.

As she walked along the streets of her neighborhood, Lena noticed the beauty in the small things around her. The way the sun shone through the trees, the sound of birds chirping in the distance, and the feeling of the breeze on her face.

It was a small thing, but it made her feel alive again. For the first time in a long time, Lena felt hopeful.

The days were still sad, but they were also filled with the potential for something new. Lena knew that she had a long road ahead of her, but she was ready to take the first steps toward healing.

She looked up at the sky, feeling a sense of peace wash over her. "The love that we had, and I'm missing you," she said, her voice soft. "But it's time to let go and start living again."

Lena walked back to her apartment with a newfound sense of purpose. The nights were still lonely, but she knew that she wasn't alone. She had herself, and that was enough to start with.
© Copyright 2023 fadel k (afdelk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293679-Bouncing