*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293692-Sad-Mom
by LaCruz
Rated: NPL · Draft · Crime/Gangster · #2293692
Restaurant
Megan's body was taken over with nerves. Tonight she would break the news to the kids. Tonight she would tell them Matt is more than a friend. They have a big night planned. Matt is meeting them for shakes at the local burger joint and then they will check out the lighted path the scouts have created in the park for February. This wasn't unusual. Matt had met the children before, but that night they were going to spill the tea. They would share their big secret with the kids, which somehow made this day different. This night was going to change everything.

The waitress walks up to the table with two enormous milkshakes.

Okay, here we go! Chocolate strawberry and caramel popcorn. Enjoy!

Madeline turns to her mother smiling

"Mom, Matt's here".

Madeline was too old to be fooled. She knew Matt was more than a friend. The way he made her mother laugh. The look her mother would hold in her eyes every time the two said goodbye. Madeline knew her mother's happy place was Matt. She liked Matt, but she wasn't looking for another Dad. She already had one once and he caused more pain than happiness. Owen on the other hand had forgotten he ever had a Dad. He was dying for a male figure. Any man he saw doing anything remotely decent was a hero. It made Maddie furious. She hated seeing how vulnerable her little brother was. It was a constant reminder of how disastrous her family was. A reminder of all the hurt in their lives.

Megan stood up to wave Matt over. She wore the nicest thing in her closet. Maybe it was to impress Matt or maybe the kids. Maybe it was a little bit of both. Tonight is important to her. As she is excitedly waving she sees the man two tables across get up. She quickly lowers her hand when she realizes it's John her ex-husband. He starts yelling, and her whole world crashes down. The embarrassment is uncontainable. She feels sweat beading on her forehead. Her cheeks get red and the tears are welling.

"You pig, today out of all days. You fucking pig!"

That's what she wanted to say. No, that is what she wanted to scream. But she didn't. She froze, and then she ran. Megan ran out the door pushing past Matt. She couldn't bear looking at his face. She ran as fast as she could until she reached the lighted path.

"Dad?!"

Owen yelled as he stood up. You could tell he was confused. Maddie calmly grabbed all her allowance money from her wallet and placed it on the table. She pulled on Owen's shirt.

"Owen, come on. We have to go. Everyone is looking."

Tears trickled down his cheeks as he began to understand what was happening. Maddie, dragging her brother, rushed past her father's table and scolded him.

"You just don't know how to be normal. Do you?"

Matt stood waiting for them at the door.

"Hey, it's nothing. Okay? Everything's gonna be alright. I think we should go home. Yeah? Let's find your mom and then we'll go home."
© Copyright 2023 LaCruz (lacruz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293692-Sad-Mom