*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293965-Echostar-part-1-MS
by Ella
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2293965
Trillion Arthurs had nowhere near the perfect life, but they made-do with what they had.
Part 1: Where A Blue Jay Rested
The sun shined on the windowsill of the small apartment, and some potted lavender, dripping with water, glistened in the light. The window was wide open letting in the early morning sunlight as fluffy clouds slowly drifted through the sky, and the curtains swayed in the gentle spring breeze, along with the bird perch stationed next to Trillion's bed, where a blue jay rested. It watched them stare out into the street before flying down and perching on Trillions shoulder, pecking at their ear. "Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm going..." They mumbled under their breath, yawning quietly as they left their room and walked to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee.

"Coffee addict much?" spoke the blue jay as it flew onto the kitchen counter, its talons making a loud clacking noise on the marble surface. Trillion frowned and massaged their temples preparing to come up with the ultimate comeback, before giving in and nodding in agreement. "Aww, its no fun when you agree." The blue jay pouted, flapping his wings at their face before returning to their shoulder.

Trillion slowly and carefully poured some milk into their coffee and stirred it, bringing it up to their lips and blowing the liquid before taking a sip. They took a deep breath, in, and then out, before placing their drink on the coaster on the coffee table. The blue jay flew back to its perch, yet again laying to rest for a little while longer while Trillion got ready. They took off their pyjama shirt before attaching their prosthetic arm and putting their beige collared shirt over top of it. they pulled up their navy blue trousers and did the zip and button, then attached their braces to the top of them. They then grabbed their boots from the front door.

They pulled up their black work boots and then went to the mirror to fix their hair, adding some product and brushing it until it looked presentable enough. It wasn't like a group of self-absorbed scientists and engineers would notice, but it made them feel much better about waking up in the morning. As Trillion looked at themself, slightly admiring their work, they realised they needed to shave, as a large amount of stubble seemed to be congregating on their chin. "Shit, I'll deal with that later." They muttered to themself, touching it with the tips of their fingers, slightly irritated by its presence.

"Deal with what later." said a voice from the corridor, more as a statement than a question. Trillion turned around to see the blue jay, though he no longer looked like one. He was now presenting himself as more humanoid, though with massive, colourful wings on his back, folded as to not knock anything other. "Oh, thank god, I was getting tired of you being a bird." Trillion smiled, a hint of relief showing on their face. "yeah, I'm gonna go back to being that blue jay just cause you said that. But back to the question..." He tilted his head before elaborating. "Thought you were a fan of the stubble look." They frowned and began to walk towards the door, tutting as they went. "You really should know me better, my dear Jaiden," Trillion spoke with a hint of sarcasm. "I liked it a week ago before it began to feel like there was a clump of sand on my face. Anyway, really gotta get to work, so see ya!"

They quickly grabbed their bag and unlocked the door, stepping out and closing it gently behind them. They ran down the stairs, quickly reaching the bottom floor and exiting the building, outside of which their friends were waiting for them. "Hey Trills!" chirped Melody, her scarf flying in the wind, threatening to blow away. Trillion waved at her and unlocked the door in a rush, clambering over to the drivers seat. "Chill out dude, we still have, like, fifty minutes." Archer declared, fiddling with the strings on her hoodie. "Arch, you have fifty minutes. Me and Mel have twenty." Trillion stated, beckoning them to get into the car. "Ah" Archer mumbled as she sat in the front seat.

After Melody had gotten into the back seat (despite a lot of arguing and pleading) and after choosing which playlist they would listen to (also after a lot of arguing and pleading), they finally set off for work with Radiohead playing through the speakers. As they drove, rain began to pour outside, splattering on the windows. The droplets raced down the glass like race cars. The sound of the rain had begun to send Melody off to sleep, but she was woken up by the sound of the engine stopping as they pulled into the parking lot of their work. A big sign shone through the dreary weather, its only contents being 'Echostar'.
© Copyright 2023 Ella (rioromeo.2056 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293965-Echostar-part-1-MS