*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294748-The-Life-of-Sara
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Paul
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2294748
Sara thinks about her glory days and has a visitor.



The life of Sara.
By
Paul Forster


“There was a time when I was surrounded by excitement and noise, but now the only sounds are the wind and a few squeaks when it blows stronger. One swing still has one chain attached, the other has rusted through and fallen. The other swing is gone, but I still have the slide, kind of, it’s twisted and not smooth any more. The children are all gone and no one lives here to care for me.

Who’s that? Someone is here and I see…”


“Look Grampa, Sara… I remember many hours sitting and slowly swinging on her, thinking about characters and settings for my stories. How sad. She was beautiful.”

“GLORIA! I thoughtI was too. Thank you. I remember all those stories and wondered many times about the places you used in them. I remember your sister and brother and wondered where you all had gone.”

“Yeah, sweetheart, I remember. Now you are established and have a best seller. It was your seventh birthday and I set it up as a surprise, what a job that was, but I was happy when I saw you find it. Then Krissi’s and David’s reactions. You all loved it.”

“I remember too, Grampa, you couldn’t find the right wrench and used language I didn’t understand. But, you did it.”

“Krissi lives to far away, I miss her. David’s in the Middle East and I worry for him.”

“He’s a marine colonel now and doesn’t see combat.”

“But, he’s there and the news scares me.”

“Oohhh, I remember that touch, I love you Gloria, I…”

“Look, Grampa, the slide is so rusted it won’t slide any more. I remember…”

“Yeah, it’s gone.”

“I spent a lot of time there divorcing Steve. I could think while sliding, it’s a calming thing.”

“I remember. At first you’d slide and squeal or laugh. Later you were silent many times.”

“I’m glad you had it’s use then, Gloria. I never liked him.”

“I know Grampa, but Iwas too young to know he was a control freak. I thought he loved me with all the attention. Ten years later I know a lot more about life.”

“I never met him. I’m sorry it was a sad time for you.”

“I’m sorry we lost the house. Mom dying then dad doing what he did. I’d buy it and restore Sara if I could. She gave me a safe place to be. I wish I could swing, but those chains won’t hold me. I’m sorry, Sara,
I love you Sara, and I always will.”

“I love you too, Gloria.”

“We have to go, sweetie, we’ll be late to the dinner.”

“Okay. Goodbye Sara, I’m sorry…”

“WAIT! WAIT!... but... they’re gone, and the wait starts again. The wait for rust to claim what’s left of me. It’s a slow, lonely wait… but the wind still blows and it makes the swing squeak for now, so I can pretend. And, I’m still loved. Goodbye, Gloria, I’ll love you until I cant…

Word Count 498


© Copyright 2023 Paul (lasardaddy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294748-The-Life-of-Sara