*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294874-Ill-Timed
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #2294874
Can a bad morning really lead to a bad future? (written 4 Journey through Genres-Mystery)
Ill-timed

"Look officer," I said with a heavy sigh. "As I said before. I was running late and rushing to my car. I saw this...at least I think it was a woman. She...it wore a dark hoodie and what I thought was a blue hospital gown and there was some matted blond hair that hung out one side. She put the Walmart bag into the garbage can and took off. I've never seen her before so I went to look at what it might be, as I found it odd someone that looked like they escaped from a hospital would be in this neighborhood. She ran around the orange house and out of view and that was it. I didn't know I was supposed to follow. Can I go to work now?"


"Yes, but please put your number on the form in case we need to call you for further details."


"Right," I offered with some annoyance as I scribbled my cell number on the form. "How's the um...the baby?"

"I don't know," the officer replied with a small shrug. "She was alive when they ambulance left so..."

"Okay good. So, I can go right? I'm really late."

"Sure."

I hurried to my car, got inside and quickly locked the door. It wasn't until my hands rested on the steering wheel that I realized they were still shaking. My mind briefly flashed to the moment when I lifted the lid, pried back the side of the blue cloth bag, and spied the small, bluish hand.

"Oh God..." I whispered as I peered at what first resembled the peaceful expression of a doll. "Eliza, get a grip. The baby was alive, and they'll find the mother. The mother. Wow what a monster. Who could leave..." my voice trailed off before I gave my head a shake and told myself - again I was late!

I slowly put the car into reverse and backed out of the driveway and then told myself I needed to get to work.

"Where have you been?"

"Well first my coffee maker overflowed and then my razor broke so that's why I'm wearing pants instead of a skirt and then when I was rushing to my car, I saw this weird person, I think it was a woman, drop something into my garbage can and when I went to look, it was a baby. So, I called the cops, and they told me to wait until they arrived, so I did and then I gave my statement and then well...now I'm here," I rattled off as my boss started at me dumbfounded.

"But..."

"Oh, and my phone battery is dead so...I'll have to charge my phone and then I have that Zoom call with Mrs. Avery who's apparently still interested in the seaside rancher."

"You're behind on a sale this month."

"I know but this is a second call with her so..."

"Is the baby, okay?" My boss asked quietly as my lips pursed. "Are you okay?"

"Nerves are a little rattled. I mean I live like half an hour from the nearest hospital. She looked homeless but we don't have any transients in our neighborhood. That's why we picked it. Quiet and unassuming with very little crime and no...action. I mean who is she? Why did she give up her baby? And why out in our area? Did she just assume if she picked a nice house the people inside would just take it in and not call the cops and...and I'm rambling."

"Take a deep breath. It's been an exciting morning."

"Just so bizarre. Nothing exciting happens in our area. Right focus."

"Did you...recognize her?"

"Didn't see her face. Just some matted blond hair. I mean she might have had a set of keys in her car but...but why drive all the way out to our area and leave a newborn?" My voice trailed off in slight despair.

"You sure you want to take the call today? I can get another agent to do it."

"I'm behind in my sales. I got this. I have about twenty minutes and I'll have calmed down by then. Besides, the baby will be checked over and hopefully it's okay and then...then the police will do their investigation and then..."

"The baby will go up for adoption."

"Okay, let me go and set up and then...I got this. It was just...another day in the neighborhood, right?" I quipped as I turned on my heel and hurried toward the small washroom.

I marched up to the mirror in the staff washroom and frowned at the strained reflection that stared back at me. So many questions raced through my mind. Who was she? Where was she from? Why did she have to give up her baby? Couldn't afford it? Abusive husband? Teenage mother? Drug fueled rash decision? Or...

"Enough!" I hissed at myself as I quickly touched up my foundation and then tried to straighten a few strands that had gotten away from my once neatly fixed ponytail.

I gave myself one more nod before I turned on my heel and headed for my small office. Normally I hated zoom meetings, but after my rather stressful start to the day, I was happy that my new client could only see half of me - my legs were free to shake at will.

I arranged the computer, the two monitors, my files, my handy calculator, and a small mirror with a sticky note above it that simply read - 'smile'.

I started the meeting and then waited for my client to connect.

Wonder what her morning started like? Probably pretty boring.

A few seconds later my client's face appeared, and I offered her a strained smile.

"Good morning, Mrs. Avery. How are you?"

"I had a bit of a stressful start," she quietly replied.

"Oh, you too? What happened?"

"There was no coffee ready to go. I need a good, strong coffee to get the day started. I didn't hear my alarm, so I overslept and there was too much traffic in the way. I had to make a detour through an area I wasn't familiar and then...my financial agent got Covid."

"That does sound like a very busy morning indeed. Mrs. Avery..."

"Please call me Olive."

"Olive, I like that," I lightly complimented. "Are you needing to confirm details with your financial advisor before we talk offers?"

"I just sent him a text so we can get started."

"Okay great. So as discussed here are the leanings on the property..."

The woman before me looked slightly disheveled but I told myself that I probably didn't look the professional agent that I normally would portray if the morning started out like it did the day before. But as we continued with the property details, my heart rate started to come down to a regular level, the shaking in my legs stopped and my breathing normalized.

By the end of the call, I felt I was back on top of my game.

"That's a fantastic backyard. Do you have a big family?"

"No. No kids. At least not right now. Just not the right timing."

"That's fair. Well, if you do decide you have enough room inside and out. So, I'll prepare the documents and send them to your email and then you can discuss it with Richard and get back to me tomorrow. I hope he feels better."

"Okay that works for me. Thank you, Sheila."

"You're welcome, Olivia."

I ended the zoom call and then slowly pushed myself away from the desk and headed back outside. There were a few people in the reception area talking to Madison, the world's friendliest receptionist in my humble opinion. She could run the world if she was allowed and do a darn good job of it. Course everyone would be forced to wear smiley-faced tee shirts.

"Well?"

"I think it'll close tomorrow. She was texting her finance person at the same time, and I think we're good to go. A few details left to iron out but looks promising."

"What a relief. And wha..." my boss started and then stopped as two familiar faces stepped into the office door and walked up to Madison's desk.

"What on earth?" I asked as one of the officers from the morning slowly headed toward me.

"What's going on?" She asked me in a quiet whisper.

"They were from this morning. With the baby."

"Ms. Jones?"

"Yes," I said nervously. "What's going on?"

"We managed to ID the woman who left the baby in your garbage can this morning."

"You did? Who is it? Is that why you're here? To tell me? Is that...normal?" I asked in haste.

"Well, this case isn't that normal. First off, the baby is in good health and being cared for by nursing staff. However, the mother is in a bit more trouble."

"For abandoning her baby?" I asked kind of mechanically as my brain was trying to put things together.

"Yes, for starters. She also is in trouble for tax fraud, petty theft and a few other charges."

"Okay, so why are you telling me?"

"Because she had a meeting with you this morning at 10."

"What?"

"Olive Avery. Did you meet with her this morning?"

"I...I did," I stammer as I stared at the officer in utter shock and disbelief. "I um...I don't know what to say. Am I in trouble for um...meeting with her? I thought she was legit."

"No, but I need to have whatever information you have. Phone number, address, anything."

"Sure...yes of course," I said as I turned and headed for my office to get the file I had started on my so-called new client. My heart rate started to soar to a dangerous level again and my already frayed nerves were about to snap.

How the hell is this happening to me?

I quickly retrieved the file and then hurried back to the waiting officer. "That's it. I am supposed to connect with her again tomorrow," my voice died out to a soft whisper.

"No, we'll take it from here. Thank you for your cooperation. Here is my card, if you have anything else, please let me know immediately."

"Sure. Of course," I stammered as I looked at my boss, who started back in utter shock. "Guess I lost that one," I groaned as her hand gave my forearm a reassuring squeeze.

I slowly wander back to my office and slump down in my chair and give my head a small shake as. The sale of course was gone, my client was a fraud and there was now a child without a mother. How did all this happen? Why me?

"You, okay?" My boss inquired as she hovered in my small office doorway.

"I'm in shock. Never would have guessed this. I need a Starbucks," I chuckled and groaned at the same time.

"It's on me. Hold down the fort, I'll be right back. And then we'll take a look at the new territory."

"Thank you."

I watched her leave and then pulled my phone and stared at the calendar and then ran over in my head all the events that started the day off on the wrong foot.

Just before I was about to turn off my phone, a text from an unknown number popped up and I quickly opened it and read it.

My jaw dropped.

'I hope you can find a way to take care of my baby. See you soon'

"WHAT?"

Word count: 1915

© Copyright 2023 AliceLvs2Write (alicelvs2write at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294874-Ill-Timed