*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296335-Scrabble-beats-me
Rated: E · Short Story · Community · #2296335
Tricky wordplay...
Scrabble.
A tricky game of spelling and words
A game for adults.

A game where I'm getting clobbered by my ten-year-old daughter.

She's so good at finding words that work to the greatest point advantage you'd think she was born with Merriam-Webster's Dictionary implanted in her brain.

I'm currently adding my twelve-point word to my score. That brings me to 146 points. That's not so bad. Before I even put the pencil down, she's got something.

"Okay, Mom, I've played a word"! she tells me. I look down at the board to score her word. picket with the 'k' on a triple letter square. Let's see...
three, four, seven, twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty-four.

Added to her previous score, that brings her to 223 points.

I don't even need to look up to know she's doing that little tiny smile that means she think's she's beating me.

"We're out of letters, Mom."

Okay. Not good. I look at my letters; all vowels and T's. That is not going to be of any help.

I quickly lay down the longest word I can make. That just adds six to my score.

She lays down something, but it's nothing spectacular. It doesn't matter at this point, because we agreed that whoever ran out of tiles first would get to pick what we ate for dinner, and I don't really want to have to get in the car and drive to a restaurant.

I lay down another word, and have only one tile left. She takes a long time on her turn, sighing and considering each tile, and then, in a blaze of speed, lays down all her remaining tiles onto the board.

"Ha ha ha ha! I WIN!"

"Yes," I concede. "You win. Now you get to pick dinner." I suddenly think of a way to stump her from picking something too complicated, and add "But you have to be able to spell it with just three or four Scrabble tiles, got it?"

"Really, Mom?" she says.

I smile, thinking I've got her this time. "Yes, really."

"Are you sure, Mom?" She's got that little smile on her face, and suddenly I start to worry I've somehow stumbled into a trap.

She points. Sitting on the table, in all their glory, are the three simple tiles

K5 F4 C3

© Copyright 2023 OnlyMagicInkGlows (jal500 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296335-Scrabble-beats-me