*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296931-The-Myth-of-Orpheus-and-Eurydice
by Coco
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #2296931
The Myth of Orpheus and Eurydice put simply
Once upon a time, in a tranquil village, there lived a gifted musician named Orpheus. His melodies were so enchanting that even the rocks would dance and the rivers would pause to listen. But the true joy of his life was his beloved wife, Eurydice. Orpheus and Eurydice were madly in love, their hearts beating as one. They were inseparable, always sharing laughter, dreams, and whispers of eternal devotion.

One fateful day, as Orpheus and Eurydice strolled through a meadow, basking in the beauty of nature, a venomous serpent slithered from the shadows and bit Eurydice. She fell to the ground, life slipping away. Orpheus' world shattered into a million pieces. The beauty of life turned into an abyss of darkness. Consumed by sorrow, he couldn't bear to let Eurydice's soul slip into the underworld.

Driven by a desperate love, Orpheus made an audacious decision. He decided to journey to the underworld, the realm of Hades and Persephone, to plead for Eurydice's return.

With lyre in hand, Orpheus embarked on a treacherous journey to the realm of the dead. Through shadowed valleys and winding rivers, he played his music, piercing the darkness with its haunting beauty. Orpheus' music reached the ears of Hades, the ruler of the underworld, and his wife, Persephone. They were moved by the mournful melodies, which echoed the depths of Orpheus' anguish.

Standing before the mighty rulers, Orpheus pleaded for his beloved Eurydice. He spoke of their love, their dreams, and the unbearable pain of separation. Touched by his heartfelt words, Hades and Persephone agreed to a deal.

Hades granted Orpheus permission to take Eurydice back to the realm of the living. But there was a condition: Orpheus must walk ahead and never look back until they reached the world above. Eurydice would follow behind, shrouded in darkness. With hope in his heart and trust in his steps, Orpheus began the journey back to the world of the living. His lyre hummed with melodies of love and longing, guiding Eurydice through the shadows.

As they neared the light of day, doubt crept into Orpheus' mind. His heart yearned to see Eurydice's face, to ensure she was truly with him. The temptation grew until he could no longer resist. In a moment of agonizing weakness, Orpheus turned around to catch a glimpse of Eurydice. But in that instant, she vanished, whisked away back to the underworld, forever lost to him.

Orpheus was left alone, broken and tormented. His eyes filled with tears of regret, knowing that his impulsive action had condemned him to a lifetime of sorrow. He mourned for Eurydice, for the love they had lost.

From that day forward, Orpheus wandered the earth, playing music that captured the depth of his grief. His melodies echoed through mountains and valleys, rivers and forests, resonating with the pain of a love lost forever.


© Copyright 2023 Coco (leo760 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296931-The-Myth-of-Orpheus-and-Eurydice