*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297238-Butterflies
by Yaksha
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #2297238
A girl in love with butterflies is about to find out humans are not as lovely.
My name is Maria, and since I was very little I enjoyed the flapping of butterfly wings, their colors and their tiny beauty, I enjoy it all. My mom said that if I continue this way, I’ll grow wings one day.

Today I will be going to the forest near our house, momma won’t know because otherwise she won’t let me go. I found many butterflies in that forest, butterflies I’ve never seen before, and I also made a friend who will show me where all the butterflies hide. When I grow up, I will become a friend of the butterflies, I will have a sanctuary for butterflies!

Before I go, I take one last look at myself in the mirror, I grin, I know today will be an awesome day. Because of how excited I am. I made a sudden move, and knocked over the little pink ballerina my momma gave me as my ten year birthday present, her legs and arms broke, I had to hide her under the bed so that my momma wouldn’t notice it was broken. I’ll fix it when I come back.

My hair is so messy today, I’m so mad. My curls are all over my face and I feel hot and humid in this weather, I wish it was a bit less hot today. I walk past our gate, and down the road, I look back making sure my momma is not looking, and make a run for it! I’m finally in the forest, I’m so excited my heart could burst! I’m looking for my friend, I walk a bit and there he is! I know him well, he’s our neighbor, now he’s also my friend, he said so, he lives two houses down from us. I’ve always liked Mr. Hawk, when he noticed I like butterflies he started planting flowers in his home so they would come and I could play in his garden. I wish momma did that too, but she says plants need care and she doesn’t have time between work and me. Mr. Hawks raised his hand and gestured me to go near him, he crouched down, so I’m going in and as I am getting near I see many butterflies floating near him.

-“You’re a wizard of the butterflies!” I said

-“Want to see more butterflies?” Said Mr. Hawk

-YES!!!

We walked for a while, the forest grew thicker and darker, my heart was racing, for some reason, I was excited about the butterflies but at the same time I felt uneasy. Mr. Hawk was no longer talking, he started humming. I wanted to ask him about the butterflies, but he said I had to be quiet otherwise I would scare them off.

The forest looked very dark and I could feel my heart pumping in my throat when I tried to talk to Mr. Hawk, he turned and his blue eyes were the color of shadows at night, I tried to talk but I only coughed, the words were not coming out like I wanted them to. He offered me water, and I took a sip, maybe it could help me, I was very hot and it was humid. The water bottle smelled funny he must have not washed it properly because it smelled.

-I think, I’m turning around, Mr. Hawk. I said.

-Haha go ahead, if you’re afraid. Said Mr. Hawk.

As I’m turning around, I hear the crunch of leaves, and as I try to run, I feel numbness in my body.

I open my eyes, and I see Mr. Hawk, he no longer looks like Mr. Hawk. His eyes are now the color of shadows at night, and there’s a smell I don’t recognize. My head, hurts and I hear a buzzing, my legs feel as if they have been pulled very hard, I can barely move them, and I have a stabbing pain beneath my belly. When I try to talk I can’t, my jaw is open and I can’t close it, when I put my hand on it, I feel a hole in my cheek. I cry horrified because it feels like crust around this hole, and there’s this uncomfortable smell, it’s making me want to vomit. When I gag I feel all my body hurts, I’m afraid of gagging. Mr. Hawk is looking at me and smiling, I wish this was a nightmare. I look at my hands, and my fingers don’t look right, they are not how they’re supposed to, they hurt and they are crocked. My legs feel as if they’ve been pulled hard and I can’t move them properly. I feel like my broken ballerina, who’s now under my bed. Mr. Hawk is getting closer and is showing me a dead butterfly, he’s also carrying a big rock, he places the butterfly in my chest and lifts the rock above his head, before everything fades to black, all I think is “I hate Mr. Hawk”.
© Copyright 2023 Yaksha (yaksha at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297238-Butterflies