*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297322-Runaway-Cow
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #2297322
A school teacher finds out just how much speed her older cow has.
"Runaway Cow"
By W. P. Gerace

After nearly an hour and some change ride home, Sally Ann finally arrived at what once was her parents’ massive family farm with over 500 acres of lush land and a healthy number of chickens, cows, horses, and pigs. As she drove up the side of the once vibrant business, now nothing but an empty shell of its former self, her father nearly gone four years, she began having flashbacks from her childhood helping her parents milk the cows and tend to the chores that farm life offered. Tears flew down her cheeks as those long-forgotten memories brought back all the pain and sadness she did not want to deal with.

Pulling her car up the side of the once busy store with its cerise brick outer structure and several parking spots, O’Connor Farms was a hot spot here in Tucson back in the day. Looking around, all she saw was desolation and emptiness. Despite all this, she tried to keep up with her parent’s wishes to keep the business going after they passed, but it was challenging. She had a full-time job at Phoenix Elementary School as a kindergarten teacher. Today was the first day of school, and after the first day with a new group of needy five-year-olds, the last thing she wanted to do was tend to animals and do other farm chores. She hoped someone would respond to her ad in the paper soon. She couldn't afford to pay much for a teacher's salary. Still, she was also offering free room and board and a home-cooked meal, and in these desperate times, she hoped someone would bite on the opportunity.

Getting out of her car, she left everything inside, including her keys, dangling in the ignition. Desperately trying to get the door open, it too was locked. Frantic, she realized she had a spare pair in the house. The fence was a high metal mesh around the back of the property. Dad had put this in many years ago when there was a rash of coyotes coming through feasting on the animals at the time. She recalled it so well it certainly was a good idea then, but now how in the world would she get over this gate? Wearing her brand-new dress she bought for the first day of class, she finagled herself over the gate, not realizing the lock was loose, and it quickly disengaged.

Betty Lou, the family cow that had been part of the O'Conner farm since her own childhood, was more just a figurehead here and did not provide any profit to the farm. Dad loved Betty Lou, and so did she and her mom. Betty Lou stood there with all two hundred pounds of her staring at Sally Ann with those almond eyes of hers. Never did she think what happened next would happen. The old girl could barely move or do anything. However, Betty Lou did the loudest moo she had ever heard on this late August hot afternoon and bolted right out of the yard.

"Betty Lou, get yourself back here, young lady. You listen to me now. I command you to return." Sally Ann yelled in that soft-spoken teacher voice of hers. It worked with her students, but she was sure a two-hundred-pound cow could care less.

Strutting down Cactus Plant way, which was mostly empty and with no sign of humanity for miles, she quickly could have gone anywhere. Picking up speed Betty Lou kept on trucking her husky body, making the loudest sounds she had ever heard come from the family pet. Wagging her tail, the old gal acted like she had no intention of returning.

Running after the animal, Sally Ann wearing her red dress shoes, was no match for Betty Lou's swift speed. She practically fell a few times along the pebbled road and broke a few pieces off her heel; so much for using these shoes again. Sweat streamed down her arms and legs as the blazing desert sun bore down her plump body. She was about to collapse when a young man pulled up in a red pickup truck. He was quite the look; shame she was not a few years younger and skinner. He had wavy chestnut hair, dark eyes, and a muscular build.

"Miss, are you ok? "He asked in a thick Southern accent.

"No, you see that cow galloping away. Well, that girl is mine. She has been a family pet since we came to this place. Can you help me, please?"

"Sure, do not worry your little self. Are you Ms. Sally Ann, by the way? "

"Why yes, I am. And you are? "

"My name is Billy. I am your new farm hand. Let me get your cow. She sure has a lot of speed on her." Smiling, Sally Ann was appreciative she found some good help.

"Yes, she is. She is moving like lightning. "

Offering her to hop in, they drove down the empty road, and there was Betty Lou, her fast-moving self, just running along the narrow road. Billy called to her in a hushed voice. Betty Lou perked her ears and followed along. Quietly Betty Lou walked beside Billy as he drove his truck, her eyes gazing at him as if he had a magical spell over her.

Sally Ann finally found good help and someone to help with all this. Drenched from her jog down the road, she was wiped out.

"Hey, once we get this gal on the farm again, how about I make us some good food? I have steak and potatoes I bought today. "Billy gestured, pointing to the back seat.

"Sounds yummy." A good farm hand that will take care of the farm and cook. Finally, life was looking up.
© Copyright 2023 W.P. Gerace (phoenixdude71 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297322-Runaway-Cow