*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297742-My-First-Prompt
by Bugg
Rated: E · Sample · Emotional · #2297742
Writing Prompt: Write a story that includes the line “We’re just too different.”
"I'm sorry." Her voice was barely above a whisper yet it echoed so loudly in his mind. "I can't do this."



"Yes, we can, I know we can." He choked back a sob. "Please, my love."



The heavy rain beat down on them, warning the two lovers to take cover inside, but they would not move.

He lost her once, and he was not about to let it happen again. He rested his face on the crook of her neck, taking in her intoxicating scent. She smelled softly of lilacs. Oh, how he missed it.

"Let us talk to them together," he begged, pushing back to gaze into her eyes, "Let us show them there is nothing to be afraid of."

A tear rolled down her cheek as she looked back into his, "I'm sorry." She could barely form the words.



She gazed at the ground between them. "We're just too different."

"No." He refused to believe those words. " We can do this." He reached up to caress her cheek, making her look up at him. "Please. I don't care if they shun us. We can run away together." His eyes softened, "We can have our own home, live our own lives like we always wanted." He searched her face, trying to find any indication that he could whisk her away and give her what he knew she deserved.

All he got was her tear-stained face looking up at him another one ready to fall.

"No."

His heart sank, so he pleaded again, "Please, I can't lose you." Tears stung his eyes once again. She stepped back, out of his grasp.

"You know I can't." She bit her lip, not daring to cry again. "I'm sorry."

His knees buckled, crashing to the floor. Tears gently tapped against the ground. "Please," he sobbed, "please."

"I'm sorry," she said again, coming out as a cracked whisper. She turned and walked away. It took all of her willpower not to turn around and run back into the arms of the man she loved. His heart-wrenching sobs echoed in her mind.

© Copyright 2023 Bugg (buggnaut at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297742-My-First-Prompt