*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298089-The-Red-String---WC-293
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Script/Play · Contest Entry · #2298089
Seven-year-old Johnny Jonas follows a red string as it leads him into the unknown.
The Red String
WC 293


I couldn’t have been more than seven years old, but I remember the incident like it was yesterday, not thirty years ago.

My dad, mom, two sisters and I were living in Granger, Indiana back then, a world away from the hillside house overlooking Hollywood that I now call home.

I was sweeping our front walk. I remember it was right after lunch on a Saturday. Each of us had our weekend chores; mine was sweeping the sidewalks and steps with my trusty broom.

Running across the front walk was a thin red string, barely detectible; the string led into the weeds next to our property. I tugged on it; the red string was tied to something, but what?

“Johnny Jonas, what do you think you’re doing? You have your chores,” my dad said in his ‘I mean business’ voice.

I dropped the string and continued sweeping. But later that night I sneaked out, flashlight in hand.

The red string led me through the tall weeds and into the foreboding patch of woods next to it. I wanted to turn back but couldn’t; I had to solve the mystery.

A raspy voice whispered, “Turn back, little boy,” but I went in deeper...until I could go no further. The red string was tied to a doorknob of a golden door built into a huge oak. I tried the door; it was locked.

“Turn back little boy. Now!”

I chickened out and ran home!

What was behind the door? Hidden treasure? A monster? Nothing?

I am a Hollywood writer now and do have connections. I think I’ll write the movie. I bet it’ll sell.

Tagline: Johnny Jonas (aka Indiana Jonas), finds hidden treasure guarded by terrifying monsters. Slays monsters…gets the goodies and the girl.

© Copyright 2023 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298089-The-Red-String---WC-293