*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298202-Work-in-Progress
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2298202
Playing around with an idea for the beginning of a short story.
Somewhere in the depths of space, a little blue planet, much like our own, makes its annual journey around a sun, much like our own, quite happily. However, as we begin to zoom in, things start to look a bit different. For all intents and purposes, the solar system in question mirrors our own system almost entirely, except you’ll be pleased to find that this blue planet is populated by quite unexpected things. The geography is a bit different, too.

Stay with me on this.

If, indeed, there are infinite universes for every possible possibility*, then it stands to reason that a universe exists in which all our myths and tales and fictional dreams exist, too.

See the fluffy clouds approaching as we make our way down to Blearth†. Feel the cool mist wash over you as we move on down; now, look to your right. See that splodge rising on the horizon, silhouetted against a rather magnificent pink and purple sunset? You guessed it: a dragon, one who's seen a fair share of dinners by the look of it.

Stars begin to punctuate the night sky with the rising of the moon, a nice full silvery moon. Listen closely: the faint cry of a werewolf carries on the breeze. Candles, campfires and lanterns are kindled across the land, highlighting the best tourist locations for a city break or an escape to the country. In the darkness, a dim light emanating from an orb atop a dented staff reveals a rather worried wizard, pointed hat and all, tramping along a beaten track between two forests, telling himself that it was just a fox, and there’s nothing to worry about, and he should stop being such a silly fart. As we take a moment to appreciate a few gulps of fresh air — the kind of air that nature intended — the orb of light bobs along in the distance and, eventually, slopes out of view.

This particular wizard is in a hurry.

* Which there are, by the way. Please don’t ask questions, ta.
† Don’t look at me. I didn’t name the bugger.
© Copyright 2023 L.A.Saxe (lasaxe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298202-Work-in-Progress