*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298413-Bear-Run
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2298413
Young man lost in woods must fight for his life.
Bear Run

Turning in a circle, the forest looked the same in all directions. Lost, alone, night was approaching. Kneeling he rifled through his pack for his compass when he recalled he had left it home. All he had was his pocketknife and some water. His phone had no service. The overcast sky made it impossible to determine South. Continuing to walk he heard a roar behind him. He knew the sound. Anxiety descended and he moved faster. The ground began to slope downward. He chanced it an indication a river was further down so he followed it.

The forest floor was slippery with fallen leaves then upon losing his balance he fell sliding, slamming into logs, and then a rock. The rock stopping him gave way falling over a precipice of which he unable to stop his slide, followed it over. After a couple of bounces on the way down he landed on his back. Still conscious, hearing the roars above. He forced himself up, in pain.

Looking around realizing he was at the bottom of a dry river ravine. A loud growl filled the ravine from above. Knowing the bear was tracking him. He knew there wasn’t much time, exhausted he took a deep breath and looked around for anything he could use to build a fire. He found a piece of rough metal then gathered some twigs and dry branches. Using the metals edge he made kindling then using a stone he created the sparks which lit the fire. As the fire built up the bear seemed content to stay atop the ridge for now. The young-man was grateful as he was too tired to scale the ravine wall behind him. He had to rest.

Sitting for a time, with his thoughts listening to the growls of the bear he planned his fight. As his fire built up he started two more fires blocking the way to him. As night blanketed the ravine, the shadows of dry brush and trees danced in the flicker of firelight along the walls beyond him.

Finding a thick hardwood stick and pointing it then cutting a strip from his shirt fashioning a spear wrapping the rag tightly around the tip. He felt ready. He couldn't sleep but resting would be good.

First light. It had been a long night. A bright orange glow fell on the ravines edge lighting the floor and the bear roared. He was coming. The young-man grabbed his spear lighting the cloth end and as the bear bolting rose to his hind legs and lunged for him. The man quickly raising the spear into his chest and having used a buried stone to help him hold it. The bear impaled itself, abruptly ceasing its charge.

Mortally wounded it flailed wildly falling over. All that could be heard after awhile was the bears last breath and the young mans heartbeat. The young-man lay still for a long while. Then gathering his mind began the climb out of the ravine.



500 words Entry for No Dialogue Contest
© Copyright 2023 Ironworker (ironworker156 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298413-Bear-Run