*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299149-CHAPTER-001-OF-THE-WORTHY
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #2299149
The first chapter of my first novel








ONE


Lilly.

She was the first, last and only thing on his mind right now. To be honest, she was the first, last and only thing on his mind from the first moment he had first laid eyes on her. Lilliandria Evozia Sovol, princess of the D'Meon Realm had been the queen of Jackson Hargrove "Jack" Leonard's heart. She had only been seventeen at the time they had met, and he was a year and a half younger. Tomorrow afternoon he will be married to her. This made Jack feel like he was on cloud nine.

Jack returned to Cleesburg, Ohio via the portal he had opened with the spell Lilly had taught him. He found himself in the parking garage under Harrison's Jewelers. His muscular arms moved his wheelchair up the somewhat steep ramp to Main Street. Fortunately, Jack had put on his parka before he had left the D'Meon Realm. The howling winter winds sounded like they could bite exposed skin with their frigid cold. He waited for them to die down before leaving the underground structure.

"Hover," Jack said to his wheelchair when he saw that gigantic mounds of snow had covered the sidewalks and pavement. The wheels folded into pockets within the sides of the armrests, a joystick control and a speed indicator appeared on the right armrest, and compressed air shot out from jets under the seat. Jack knew his wheels couldn't navigate through the white, powdery barriers. Thanks to the voice activated commands program he had designed, they wouldn't have to.

Jack looked up to see the full moon push its way out of the clouds. Its light made the snow and streets brighter. This won't last, Jack thought. Grandpa always said, "If you don't like the weather in Cleesburg, Ohio, just wait a few seconds, and it'll change."

Suddenly, something struck the back of Jack's hooded head. He laughed. The "Chaf" noise and the moisture on his hood told him that a snowball had hit him, and he knew exactly who had thrown it.

His chair turned around. His eyes scanned the area to and fro. The sound of snow crunching lightly ran to Jack's left. Jack turned to see a lamp post. Its light shined upon the ground, revealing a long, small shadow. Jack chuckled to himself and circled around to the other side.

"There you are, Little Cub," Jack said joyfully, his voice muffled slightly by his scarf and the collar of his parka.

A female werewolf cub of about eight human years of age, named Jara, looked up at Jack with mischievous yellow eyes. She was dressed in primary colored winter layers, including red mittens. The right one was holding another snowball. Her black, furry face revealed a smile full of crooked teeth. Jack noticed that the front two were missing. To Jack, it seemed like yesterday when Jara was born. Jara's grandfather Louis Harrison owned the jewelry store. He and Jack's grandfather Orville Leonard served in World War II together and helped create the United Nations Supernaturals Charter which allowed supernatural beings such as vampires, werewolves, witches and the like to co-exist publicly with humans. Jara's parents, Richard Harrison and Anna Seigel, had been friends with Jack and Lilly since they were teenagers. Both Jack and Lilly were with Richard and Anna during the births of Jara and her older brother John. Now, Jack was thirty now and amazed to see Jara ready to launch snowballs like missiles.

"Little cub?" Jara protested with a slight whistle in her speech. "I'm eight years-old, Trelabol."

"You'll always be Little Cub to me even when you have cubs of your own, Little Cub," Jack said with a smile. "It's something that us old folks feel for the children we love. You'll understand someday."

Jara was confused, but she figured Jack was right. She protested and complained in the way children do sometimes. However, she liked when Jack called her Little Cub. She called him Trelabol. Trela was the word for "Worthy" in the werewolf language, and Bol meant "One who uses wheels". Jara's parents and brother were worried the name would offend Jack. Yet, he found the moniker to be one of endearment.

Worthy. Throughout the Infinite Realms, the word is spoken in many tongues. Yet, its meaning is the same. A Worthy is one with various abilities who is meant to keep the peace between supernatural beings and mortals and prevent those who are evil from plunging the Infinite Realms into eternal darkness and tyranny. The number of Worthy is greater than any being can count, for they are everywhere in the Infinite Realms. The one thing they all have in common is a crescent moon shaped birthmark on the left side of the backs of their necks.

Jackson Hargrove Leonard, like most on the paternal side of his bloodline, is one of the Worthy. Jack discovered he was a Worthy when he was younger than Jara. Since then, he had been doing his best to live up to the meaning of the word.

Jara leaped into Jack's lap, hugged him, put down his scarf and parka collar, and chewed lightly on Jack's beard. The latter action was a form a affection that werewolf cubs expressed for those whom they loved and trusted. It was not meant to hurt anyone. In fact, the feeling of Jara's teeth tickled Jack's chin.

"Grandpa said you'd be coming to get your wedding gift for Lilly when you return from the fight. Did you kick his butt?"

Jack laughed and hugged Jara. "I can't kick worth a hill of beans, Little Cub, but I did win. D'Meon Laws made it official that Lilly and I can be married tomorrow."

"Great!" Jara exclaimed as she hugged Jack tightly. " I can wear the dress Grandma made for me."

"I bet you'll be the prettiest werewolf at the wedding," Jack said with his dark bearded chin exposed and sporting a broad smile. "What did you do today, Little Cub?"

"John took me ice skating at Goose Creek. School let out for the holiday yesterday. Cousin Connie pulled the beard off Santa Claus at the town square on the way home then. He turned out to be your daddy."

"Dad and Uncle Harold have been helping the real Santa Claus by dressing as him for years, and before that, my Grandpa Orville was Santa's helper."

"That's what I told Connie," Jar commented.

The werewolf cub suddenly looked to her left. Her nose wiggled, prompting a concerned look on Jack's face. "What is it, Little Cub?" He asked.

"Wind's picking up near the Helford Tree Farm. It's heading this way."

"Then we'd better get inside before that wind blows us all the way to Columbus"

Jara laughed. "Daddy says Columbus is a shithole."

Jack chuckled. "Your daddy had a bad experience in Columbus when we were in school. Every city has its good points and bad points."

The wind began to speed up slightly. Jack held Jara with his left arm while his right hand used the joystick to pilot his wheelchair. They approached the jewelry store. The hand of a human Caucasian woman in her early-to-mid sixties - Jara's grandmother, Lois Harrison - opened the door. Its little bell rang letting those inside know someone had entered the shop.

"Wheels," Jack commanded the chair. The joystick folded into the compartment within the right armrest, and the wheels returned as they were in the parking garage.

Jack saw Richard and Louis behind the counter. Both were wearing jewelers glasses with special lenses to examine gems, precious metals and other things carefully. Louis' fur was gray, and he was dressed in black trousers, a black vest and white shirt with long sleeves. Richard was clad in muted gray. His fur was black. He was around the same age as Jack. He looked at the wheelchair using Worthy with a broad smile.

"I see someone greeted you when you arrived," Richard said jovially, indicating Jara. "How did it go?"

Jack hugged Jara before she went to her grandmother. "Best greeting I've ever gotten even with the snowball to the melon," He chuckled. "Don't be hard on Jara, though. It was all in good fun. As for how things went, Sovol pulled a crazy stunt that nearly destroyed the main city because he believed I wouldn't fight him."

A shocked look came over Richard's face, and his brown eyes widened. "After his decision in that... incident with Krulan, he still believed you wouldn't engage him in combat?"

Krulan... The name brought back bad memories for Jack. Krulan was right hand man to Sovol, Lilly's father. He was also a vicious bastard who thought his job gave him the right to possess Lilly. Jack had stopped Krulan from assaulting Lilly. However, he and Sovol disagreed on Krulan's punishment. There had been bad blood between Jack and Sovol ever since.

"Sovol and I never agreed about Krulan, Rich," Jack told his friend. "On top of that, he believed I wouldn't battle him. He somehow thought I wouldn't respect D'Meon laws and traditions."

Richard laughed heartily. "If that were true, you and Lilly both would have lost your virginity at Cathy Farnsworth's graduation party in 1991."

"That's exactly what Lilly told her mother."

Richard laughed and sighed. "You're a stronger man than I am, my friend."

"How?"

"I couldn't wait as long as you have for Lilly."

"I've waited because I love Lilly. That love allowed me to follow and respect her culture's ways."

"You always did respect other cultures. Your grandfather's training and your reading copious amounts of science fiction and comic books had a hand in that in my opinion." Richard looked reflective. "You think some years ago we were just crazy kids in high school. Now, Anna and I are married with two incredible kids, and Lilly will be your wife at this time tomorrow."

It was in that moment John and Anna entered the shop from the back room where they had been taking inventory. John had reminded Jack of Richard when he was John's age. The young werewolf was about eleven human years of age. He went to Jara, who gently pulled on his black chin fur. John made playful growling sounds as she did that. Both children helped Lois Harrison put up holiday decorations around the jewelry shop.

Anna had sandy colored hair and dark framed glasses. She hugged Jack when she saw him. She then became shocked. That meant only one thing. Anna was getting one of her vague clairvoyant visions. They were a gift and a curse in which she had inherited from her mother. The look on her face was one of horror as she looked at Jack.

"Everything okay, sweetheart?" asked Richard.

It took Anna a second to come out of the stupor her visions caused. She shook off this brief side effect and responded, "I'm fine, honey. It was just one of my flashes."

"You looked scared out of your wits."

"She probably just saw Uncle Harry doing the Chicken Dance at the wedding feast," Jack interjected.

Everybody, including Anna, laughed at Jack's remark. However, she was still in shock. The flash's image of fangs and blood was burned into her mind. Anna was never sure what her psychic visions meant. Yet, this one seemed connected to Jack somehow. She didn't want to needlessly alarm anyone, for her premonition could mean something good could come from it.

Louis Harrison handed Jack a gold locket. It had belonged to his maternal great grandmother, who had passed away when Jack was seven. Louis and Richard had added a blue-amber jewel to it. The gem was one from the D'Meon Realm and Lilly's birthstone, called Le'Vael. It had the ability to show images of the wearer's fondest memories. Richard had cut the Le'Vael into the shape of a heart, and Louis had set it into the locket.

Louis smiled reflectively and looked at Jack. "It seems like yesterday when you were on your grandpa's shoulders when he and your dad would go to Neil McDonald's barber shop." He chuckled. "You'd read the comic books on the spinner rack Neil had and spend your quarters on those."

"He still has a lot of those comic books in his collection," Richard added teasingly.

Louis sighed, looking at the framed copy of the United Nations Supernaturals Charter on the wall to his right. "I wish your grandpa could see you get married and have a family of your own."

Jack placed a hand on Louis Harrison's shoulder. He could see the jeweler's sadness. Louis clearly missed Orville Leonard, who had passed away two years ago.

"No sadness now, Mister Harrison," Jack said reassuringly. "Grandpa wouldn't want that. He'd want us to celebrate." Jack smiled impishly. "Sobriety optional."

Louis let out a boisterous laugh. "You're right. Thanks, lad."

"We all miss Grandpa. He was one of a kind." Jack let out a breath. "However, I like to think that we'll all see him and all of our loved ones again someday because, as Einstein said, time does not exist. Past, present, future, life and death are all the same moment. We just see them in a linear fashion. Plus, what makes us truly what we are is pure energy. Our bodies just house that energy for a finite period until we either choose another body or live as that energy."

"You really need to stop watching reading science fiction," Richard joked.

"And ruin my fun?" Jack quipped.

Jack paid for the locket. Both Louis and Richard protested. Yet, Jack gave them money for their hard work. He placed his gift for Lilly in a black onyx-like jewelry box. It teleported upon Jack saying a magic word Lilly and her mother had taught him.

"There," Jack said. "The locket should be well hidden in the chamber that Lilly and I will share after we're married."

Lois Harrison, placing a Christmas star on a small plastic tree in the window display to the left of the jewelry's store's entry door, smiled and said, "Lilly's going to love it, Jack."

"I sure hope so, Mrs. Harrison. Thank you all very much. I owe all of you a great deal just for all you've done for Lilly, our entire family and me."

"Just be happy with Lilly like you always are, my friend," Richard said. "That's thanks enough for me."

Jack smiled broadly and replied, "I will, Rich. I will. See you all tomorrow."

Jack hugged the entire Harrison family and allowed Jara to chew on his beard once again. Richard opened the door for Jack, and the Worthy said goodbye to the Harrison family. Jack looked at the cloudy sky believing that more snow may be on the way. However, he could always hover to Leonard Manor. It was just a few miles south of the Cleesburg town square that was adjacent to Harrison's Jewelry Store.

The trip to the family home had begun uneventfully until he heard a noise from the nearby woods. Jack had only about two or three miles to go before arriving at Leonard Manor. Whatever it was, Jack's keen hearing picked up the sound of what seemed to be wild animals roaring and growling. It took a few seconds for him to realize that a pack of vampires were coming toward him, and they were ravenous. From the snarls and laments coming from them, Jack understood that someone had locked them somewhere for days, allowing them to feel intense hunger to the point of near starvation. Now, their search for sustenance was driving them to utter madness.

The sheer numbers of the nearly starving undead took Jack by surprise. Jack hadn't actually counted, but it seemed like hundreds of the living dead were coming at him from the forest. The otherwise white landscape was covered with drooling, hungry vampires. Some wore leather jackets with a chain design shaped like an S on the left breast. That meant Steven's gang is among the blood drinkers. Steven was someone who had been a rival of Jack's even before he had met Lilly. However, Jack did not see Steven anywhere.

The pack of vampires had run and leaped toward Jack. They reminded Jack of a large group of lemmings heading toward a cliff. He drew a silver bladed sword from the scabbard in the back of his jacket. He slashed some of the group like a scythe through wheat, thus turning them to dust. However, more vampires kept coming replacing the ones killed by twofold.

Jack continued to battle the pack. Yet, Their weight and combined insanity and strength had knocked Jack out of his wheelchair, which had been toppled into a nearby snow drift. Claws tear Jack's clothing, and fangs bit into his skin. Jack fought of some and killed others, but he was overwhelmingly outnumbered. This combined with the utter savagery of the attack gave the blood drinkers the upper hand. The pure, white snow in the area was covered in a blanket of red after Jack's flesh was punctured and ripped to shreds, beginning the feast upon the Worthy's crimson life fluid.

Jack continued to fight to the bitter end. Blood loss, unfortunately, had gotten the better of him. Jack felt his heart slow down as the vampires continued to feed on his person. During this time and when his bodily functions had ceased there was but one thought on his mind. It was the same thought that permeated his very being in every moment of his life. A single word, the name of his one true love, was all he could think about even as death came to claim him.

Lilly.

© Copyright 2023 James Heath Lantz (jhl1973 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299149-CHAPTER-001-OF-THE-WORTHY