*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299290-Saying-Goodbye
Rated: E · Short Story · Writing.Com · #2299290
Siblings' unbreakable bond endures as sister says goodbye to her brother lost to cancer.
Sarah sat by her brother's side in the quiet hospital room, observing his chest go up and down with each laboured breath. The air was thick with a mix of acceptance and melancholy. Even though they were aware that this day would come, it wasn't any easier to say goodbye.

Her older brother, Jonathan, has been battling cancer for several years. His vigour had been steadily drained by the illness, and his once-vibrant spirit had been taken. He had always been able to smile for Sarah, his younger sister, in spite of the discomfort and tiredness.

Through innumerable childhood adventures and revealed secrets, they were able to create an unshakable friendship. Jonathan had served as her best friend, confidant, and protector. Sarah now needed to have the courage to let him go.

Sarah felt memories rush through her as she held Jonathan's flimsy hand. She recalled their outdoor adventures, where they would construct forts and pretend to be knights, slaying dragons and defending kingdoms. They would giggle till they were sick, blithely oblivious to the terrible facts of life.

The world, however, had caught up to them. Those carefree days had been taken by cancer, who also snatched the countless doctor visits and sombre conversations about prognosis. Jonathan had persevered through it all with unshakeable tenacity and a resolve to never let the illness define him.

"Sarah," Although Jonathan's speech was shaky, his eyes were warm. Say, "Promise me something."

Sarah nodded while her eyes began to flood up with tears. "Jon, anything. You can count on me.
He had a small smile playing on his lips. "Promise me that even without me, you'll continue to enjoy life and laugh. I don't want my absence to be a burden on you. Sarah, you have strength. Keep that in mind always.

Sarah struggled to hold back tears as the idea of living without her brother tore at her heart. "I will, Jon. I'll muster the courage to continue. I'll always cherish the love and happiness you brought into my life.

Jonathan's eyes also started to well up with tears. "I'm grateful, Sarah. You have always been my pillar of support and my inspiration. I cherish you.

Sarah clung to her brother's hand as the hours dwindled away, savouring their remaining time together. She shared stories, whispered secrets, and soaked in every word, afraid to miss a single moment. She watched as Jonathan's breathing grew shallow and felt the weight of his hand growing lighter.

And then, with one last breath, he was gone.

In the days and weeks that followed, Sarah mourned her brother's loss. The pain was indescribable, and the void he left behind seemed insurmountable. But she clung to the promise she had made—to live, to laugh, and to honor Jonathan's memory.
© Copyright 2023 Sufilove (alexfire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299290-Saying-Goodbye