*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299308-Food-Imperialism
Rated: E · Essay · Activity · #2299308
Teaching ELS in Korea in the late 80's
Food Imperialism” Teaching ESL in Korea in the 80’s and early 90’s


         From 1988 to 1991, after the Peace Corps, teaching in Korea, and graduate school, I came back and taught full-time for three years before joining the Foreign Service. I taught at Kyunghee University, the University of Maryland, and Sogan Universities, and worked at a newspaper.

          The universities were in open revolt as Korea underwent its transition to democracy in the late 80s. I like to think that I played a small role in helping that transition occur. That was a tumultuous time to be an ex-pat in South Korea. During that time, I got tear-gassed daily for three years as one could not avoid being gassed if one worked at a Korean University as demonstrations were a daily occurrence throughout the three years,

         Korea was amid the fifth republic living under a military dictator but was slowly transitioning away from an authoritarian regime to a vibrant democratic republic.

         Korea in those days was an extremely competitive society and if one did not get into the right college, one was doomed to join the ranks of the underclass and not make it in society. Sadly, this is still very much true, if not worst.

         I taught conversational English and composition to English literature majors. I also served as the faculty advisor to the weekly English newspaper the students put out. That was a great gig too. I would meet with them once a week and edit their paper then go drink with them to celebrate putting out another paper.

         Korea campuses were in open revolt in those days. There were daily demonstrations against the regime. The Chun government had to promise free elections which had taken place just before the Olympics, but the new regime was still a military-dominated government led by an ex-general. The students were demanding free elections and revisions to the constitution to create a real democracy. The government was resisting these demands.

         The students were radicalized and were more interested in political developments than studying on campus. But I persisted. My classes became open debate forums where the students were free to say anything if it was in English of course.

         My students were always careful to warn me when a demonstration was about to go down. They also taught me how to cope with being tear-gassed. One afternoon I was leaving early to avoid a 3 pm demonstration. The riot police broke protocol and rushed the students at 2:45 pm. I got caught up trying to leave campus and got hit with a tear gas canister that landed right in front of me giving me the full dosage. That was the worst experience of my life - my students found me and took me to a restroom and after washing up for thirty minutes I could finally breathe.

         Just before I left Kyunghee, Burger King opened next to the campus. I had a standing offer to meet students for more English practice over late lunches or early dinners. We usually went to a Korean restaurant, but I started meeting them at Burger King.

         One day one of my students began talking about the U.S. being “food imperialists” as we were trying to pressure Korea to open its restaurant sector to foreign chains.

         Burger King had just arrived, and Wendy’s was coming soon. McDonald’s had gotten in first just before the Olympics supposedly because of a huge unofficial donation to someone in the government. Burger King had refused the bribery solicitation as had Wendy’s. So, they had to wait until 1990 to get in. In any event, I started meeting my students at Burger King.

         Mr. Lee, one of my favorite students, was a flaming leftist as were many of the students in those days. When he started talking about the U.S. being a food imperialist, I interrupted him asking him to prove his point and suggesting that we continue the conversation at Burger King. He then asked me why I was always meeting them at Burger King. I said,

         “Well, as you know, I am a food imperialist. The U.S. is trying its best to force Koreans to eat American fast food. And I am part of the conspiracy.”

         Everyone laughed and we went to Burger King.

         Later after I had joined the FS, I met a Burger King executive at a function at the Embassy. When I told him this story, he laughed and offered me a job as an executive at Burger King. He said I had made his day.

© Copyright 2023 JCosmos (jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299308-Food-Imperialism