*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299459-Plot-Survey
Rated: E · Article · Activity · #2299459
A plot Device Question(s)
Greetings and Salutations,

I am in search of a bit of advice concerning a possible plot device/situation.

First two definitions of financial terms from Google;

Float: “In financial terms, the float is money within the banking system that is briefly counted twice due to time gaps in registering a deposit or withdrawal. These time gaps are usually due to the delay in processing paper checks. A bank credits a customer's account as soon as a check is deposited.”

Pump and Dump: “In a pump and dump scheme, fraudsters typically spread false or misleading information to create a buying frenzy that will “pump” up the price of a stock and then “dump” shares of the stock by selling their own shares at the inflated price.”

For my purposes, I am defining Float as the very short period of time that cash transfers are in limbo, having neither left the sending account nor been received by the destination account.


Herein lies the rub;

The protagonist of the tale has at their disposal a large sum of money, created by the Float that occurs when the corporation they work for transfers funds for multiple financial entities. The funds, in the very short window available, are used to buy low-priced securities from various foreign exchanges. The effect on the securities value is affected dramatically by the massive buy. In effect, the protagonist is creating the Pump and Dump. Just as quickly, and before the float is missed, they sell the securities, pocketing (so to speak) the profits of the sale.

The monetary transfers are sent merrily to the correct destination accounts, with no one being the wiser. (So the protagonist thinks.)

Does this sound plausible to you?

Do you see it as a crime/conflict of interest?

© Copyright 2023 Richard ~ Shenanigans INC. (brennus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299459-Plot-Survey