*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299617-A-Love-Unending
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2299617
two souls that beat as one "forever"

It was a rainy day when I first arrived in Bar Harbor, Maine. Population 5,100. Wow, did I really choose such a small place? Yet for some reason I was complete drawn to it. My name is Sheridan, by the way and I’m 27 years old from New York City. Home of crime, but still a lovely place.

I checked into the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel. The view from my room was spectacular. So far there were bluer then blue skies and not a cloud to be seen. I grabbed a late dinner, walked the grounds for a bit, then turned in. I woke up quite early. Early enough to go to my balcony and watch the dolphins jump to their highest point in this most beautiful ocean. Again, it would be a day to remember (in more ways than one).

I showered, dressed and went down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. I’m a plain sort of eater, so eggs and breakfast sausage it was with a hint of veggies on the side. Hey, it’s gotta be a good one, right?

I still couldn’t figure out why I was so drawn to this place. It was lovely, mesmerizing, but there was something else going on and I had no idea what it was!

I began walking down the beach. The seagulls flew overhead and I swear one was Jonathan Livingston! The sand was soft and already quite warm for 11 a.m. I could feel the warmth on my face and truly loved it. People were arriving to claim their spots on the beach. Some not too close to the ocean, some as close as possible. I placed my large beach towel as close as possible and ran to the water. Not at all chilly, but refreshing as I dipped and swam and dove under. My goggles allowed me to see the beauty that lie underneath. It was breathtaking.

After the short swim, I took a walk down the beach. I love to watch people and they all seemed to be enjoying the hot weather and each other’s company.

As I was walking, down the ways a bit, I saw a man who was throwing a piece of wood into the ocean. His dog ran after it and brought it back eagerly waiting for another swim to get it again. As I drew closer, the man noticed me and appeared to be quite startled. He ran towards me and called me by a name that was not mine. He called me Fiona. What???? I told him he definitely had the wrong person, but he insisted that he did not, and asked me to go to dinner with him later and he would give me a complete explanation. He was ecstatically happy and a bit anxious. His name was Logan, and he was enchanting. His dog, Cezar came running up to me and I fell in love. He was a brilliant St. Bernard. Not small by a long shot, but completely lovable. I agreed to dinner because I was quite intrigued by this man and wanted to hear what he had to say. Oddly, he looked like someone I once knew long ago, but that’s just crazy because I just couldn’t place him.
At 7:30 p.m. sharp, he would pick me up in the lobby of my hotel and we were to dine at the Reading Room Restaurant, where only the finest seafood was served. Since it was within walking distance, I chose that we walked to the restaurant. The night was full of stars, and very captivating. We arrived on time, were seated and placed our orders. I indulged in the Seared Sea Scallops, along with a nice tall glass of Sauvignon Blanc, and it was the best meal I ever had! I kept looking into this man’s eyes and saw something familiar. He was very handsome with his hair the color of the sand itself and eyes as blue as the sky.
Our conversation opened by him saying, “You don’t recognize me, do you? Dig deep into your heart and feel for that moment. That moment when we said we would meet here, by the ocean, in a different lifetime.” I looked at him like, “Oh goodness, this handsome man is a bit off.” However, he continued on with his story, which was really quite interesting, as it was a story of two soulmates from another time. These two people were deeply in love. My name was Fiona and he was Cameron. The time period was 1842 - 1855, and the place was somewhere in Scotland. A place called Tobermory. I was beginning to feel as though I were in a dream. A very peaceful one, I might add.
In that era, he said we had 13 years together. We traveled, made love by the ocean and where we were once two, we became one.
As he continued, I realized that our relationship ended when he passed during an outbreak of Typhus. He said that I was at his bedside, holding his hand. His final words were, “I will see you again. Remember me, look for me by the ocean where the skies are bluer then blue. I love you to the end of times,” and he was gone. Just like that….until now. Was this man for real? Was his love story true?
After dinner, we walked on the beach to go back. The moon was full, the stars were bright and the air was light, and fresh.
We walked in silence for a bit with my trying to grasp this story. Logan stopped and touched my arm. As I turned to look at him, he kissed me like I have never been kissed before. My entire body felt tingly and then a bit numb. It was the most deep and profound kiss I have ever had and I never wanted it to end. When he drew back, he looked at me, smiled and said, “Now THAT is my lady.” I have no idea why, but I felt the tears roll down my cheeks, and all I could do was smile back. The remainder of that walk was enchanting. Just to be near this man was a feeling of love and strength.
When I did arrive at the hotel, I crawled into my bed (alone). Never even changed, but I fell into such a deep sleep. A sleep that literally sent me back to a time in Scotland, where the fields and grass and trees were a bright, lovely green. The roads were dirt roads, and as I walked, I saw a very small house in the distance. I walked to it, opened the door and walked in. There he was………..my Cameron. Waiting! Waiting for me. I ran to his open arms and asked that he never leave me again. This man was my very soul! We walked out the back door and there was the deep blue sea. The Atlantic Ocean with skies bluer then blue. I woke suddenly and it was 8:30 a.m. I was astounded at my experience. When we met for breakfast, I ran to him and threw my arms around his neck. He simply said, “you remember.” The walk to the beach later was the same ocean, but in a different place. However, our hearts still beat as one. For all eternity, it will be that way.
© Copyright 2023 LynnMarie (ann70 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299617-A-Love-Unending