*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299856-Its-Day-184
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2299856
Is there anything that can help Missy?
Missy lay in her hospital bed. This is day 184. Carol, her mom enters the room, "It's dark in here. Let's open the curtains and let some sunshine in."



Missy groans, "Whatever!"



Carol: "Oh Honey, I know you're sad and you don't deserve this, but if you will just try to look on the bright side maybe, just maybe you will feel better."



Missy turns her head away from her mom. Tears trickle down her face. Angry thoughts consume her.



The nurse comes in leading a big Labrador dog and says "Missy, you have a visitor. This is Genie and Genie likes to visit our most special patient's".



Missy, "That's an odd name for a dog."



Nurse, "Well Genie is a rescue dog and the people at the animal shelter named him."



Carol: "Nurse Myers, could I have a word with you at the nurses station."



Nurse Myers, "Sure, I'll let Genie and Missy get acquainted. Is that okay with you Missy?"



Missy, "Whatever!"



Carol and Nurse Myers exit the room and Genie comes closer to Missy and lays his head on her bed and licks her hand. Missy starts to brush him away but stops and pets him instead. She closes her eyes trying not to think about the pain. That is when she hears a boy's voice. She looks around but doesn't see anyone. Then she hears it again.



"You've had a rough go of it haven't you."



Missy realized that it was Genie speaking to her.



Genie, "Listen we don't have much time, they'll be back soon but I want you to know its going to be alright."



Missy, "Great, now I'm hallucinating."



Genie, sincerely, "Missy, You have no hope. I can give you hope, if you believe."



Missy's recovery started that day. She believed!



© Copyright 2023 JustinRock (jtroy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299856-Its-Day-184