*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299927-Happy-Anniversary
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #2299927
Helen kissed him, and said, “Go away, I have work to do.”
“Jacob!”

“What Helen?”

“I got another order for blackberry preserves.”

“That’s great, but it will take all day to get those ready?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be done in time for our anniversary party.”

Jacob came closer and kissed his wife of fifty years. Helen hugged him, but then her wedding ring caught in his shirt.

Helen said, ”That was a close one, I haven’t taken this ring off my finger in fifty years and I don’t plan on it now!”

“You need to have that ring resized.”

“Someday I will.”

Helen kissed him, and said, “Go away, I have work to do.”

Helen gathered everything she needed, she inspected each individual jar, she began cooking and then the rest of the afternoon was a blur of activity. Which included a trip to the post office to expedite delivery. With no time to waste Helen hurried back home and got ready for the party.

Jacob yelled, “It’s time to go.”

Then he heard Helen scream.

Jacob said, “What’s wrong?”

Helen said, “My wedding ring, it’s gone!”

“When did you last see it?”

”I don’t remember.” Then tears swelled in her eyes.

There was no consoling her, but she insisted that they not miss the party, even her special gift, of a companion ring from Jacob only increased her sadness.

Helen was depressed for weeks after the party.

Then about three months later she heard a knock at her door, it was the FedEx guy with an envelope for her, when she opened it her wedding ring fell out. She found a note inside that said, I found this in one of the preserves you mailed us, figured it was yours. By the way, your preserves are the best.

Helen now wears a glove on her ring finger whenever she’s canning preservers.
© Copyright 2023 JustinRock (jtroy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299927-Happy-Anniversary