*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300474-The-Pendant-Of-Eshal
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by kat
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2300474
Audreena and Bayleen retrieve the pendant that will save pasha

“The blue fairy said we had to retrieve the Pendant of Eshal from the Yarwen Tower of Eleenawal. It is the only thing that will help Pasha remain in human form when she gets wet. It is hidden deep in the outer wall and the only way to retrieve it is to scale the walls of the tower.” Bayleen said to Audreena.
“The elves of Eleenawal will not be happy to discover us climbing their sacred tower. I am not sure I could do so without screaming out loud.” Audreena replied.
“You know you will have to as the Blue fairy said that we would not succeed without both of our magic.”
“Well my magic works just fine from the ground. Besides, how will we find the stone that it is beneath? It’s not like either of us have a magic detector!”
“Oh but we do Audreena,” Bayleen said with a smile, “I know that you can feel when there is magic nearby. You have shown me many times. It is how those with abilities find the Merabird eggs. You and I both have a bit of a magic detector inside of us. Maybe the two of us together will be able to locate the Pendant. If not, Pasha will have to return to the sea where she will absolutely be in danger of being killed by her cousin. We have to try.”
“Ok Bayleen, we will take Nein to the edge of the Narwalen hills. We should be able to avoid detection if we have her land in the valley nearest to the tower. If we go in the night we should be able to reach the tower and scale the south facing wall. The stone is supposed to be clearly marked but who knows how faded it will be. There is to be a full moon tonight so we should go right away to ensure that we can find it.”
“Nein. we must go with Haste to Eleenawal we need your help” Audreena called as They walked briskly to the edge of the paddock nearest the forest.
“I am always at your service Audreena,” Nein’s words whispered in Audreena’s mind.
“Come with us,” Audreena said and she led Nein to the clearing near the glen where she and Bayleen settled themselves between the Pegasus’s wings.
“”Take us to the hills nearest to Yarwen Tower.” Audreena said and Nien lifted off into the air flying swiftly north.
“Any closer and the hills are too small to hide behind,” Audreena heard Nien’s words as Nein’s hooves touched the earth with feather lightness.
“We must hurry,” Bayleen said taking Audreena’s hand. The tall grasses rustled as they moved silently towards Yarwen Tower.
“Over there,” Bayleen said, pointing towards the tower’s west wall. “There is one guard. Can you cloak us while we climb?”
“I think I can manage to hold a cloak long enough to get to the wall. I am not sure after that. I may be able to if I can keep the fear at bay.” Audreena said. She called all her thoughts from the deepest recesses of her mind. The warmth enveloped them and the cloak distorted the things that could be seen beyond it. “Let’s go.”
“The fairy said there would be hand holds that could be found at the base of the tower. Feel around just here,” he slid his hands over the the stones feeling for a crevice large enough to get a good hold on,
“Here Bayleen,” Audreena said cupping her hand into a crevice that seemed to fit her hand perfectly. Raising her foot to the wall she added, “Look there is one for a foot hold just below it.”
Shh Audreena,” Bayleen said in a whisper, " They can still hear us through the cloak if we are not careful.”
Audreena silently scaled the wall being careful not to look down. When she reached the first floor balcony she paused, clinging to the stone railing.
“Bayleen do you remember where we are supposed to look? I have been so busy climbing I haven’t paid any attention to the stones beyond the hand holds.”
“I think it will be near the balcony but not too close to it. There is a stone ledge that we are to use to skirt the tower.” Bayleen said, “See just here there are handholds leading away from the balcony. Follow me.”
“I heard something outside,” came a voice from inside the tower.
“You are hearing things Safa. We are a thousand feet from the ground!” a second voice chided.
“I swear I heard voices,” the female voice said just above Audreena’s head where she clung with closed eyes concentrating with all her might to keep the veil of the cloak strongly in place.``I see nothing though. Maybe you are right.”
Footsteps could be heard receding from the opening in the high tower. Audreena moved slowly around the exterior wall of the tower following Bayleen.
“It is here, I can feel it,” Bayleen said feeling each brick. “There should be a raised set of bumps on the stone we need to find. Most of them are smooth.”
“Here, Audreena said reaching high above her head. THankful they had moved beyond the sight of the balcony she confidently moved one hand along the wall while clinging to the hand hold with the other. THe ledge was wide enough to stand on but just barely. “There are three stones here with bumps of some sort.”
“We need to touch them together,” Bayleen said moving to her side, “Our combined abilities should reveal the stone we need to move.”
He silently reached up to where her hand felt the three stones over and over. WHen his hand rested on hers their hands warmed as one. They touched each stone in turn and finally felt the heat stronger in one than the others.
“This one,” Bayleen said, pasusing as their hand collectively moved to the last stone. “Concentrate we need to move this one out of the tower. The pendant should be behind it.'' The warmth in their hands grew as the stone came loose from the mortar and flew into the air behind them. Audreena watched in horror as the stone sailed over the guard’s head and landed in the waving grass beyond. When she turned back she saw that Bayleen held a large pendant that glowed brightly.
“This is not The Pendant of Eshal as it was described to me. It should be shaped like a shell but this is like a lake with wings” he held up the gold pendant with wings that held a green stone that lit up the darkness. “Try the next one. Are you ready?”
Bayleen put the glowing pendant in his pocket and placed his free hand upon the stone with a triangle of bumps.
“Again,” he said as they concentrated to move the stone.
This time when the stone flew past the guard and landed with a thump in the grass he went to investigate. Bayleen withdrew a silver ring with a blue stone. This stone glowed just as the first stone had.
“Bayleen, we need to hurry. If I can’t hold the cloak we will be seen. He is looking in this direction.” Audreena implored. He stored the silver ring in his pocket with the pendant.
“Ok last door!” Bayleen said, holding his hand against the stone once again.
“Wait,” Audreena said, nodding towards the guard in the field, peering in their direction. He was illuminated by the moonlight and looking for whoever might be hurling stones into the darkness. After a few minutes he made his way back to his designated post and once again turned to watch the land surrounding the tower. She placed her hand next to his and said, “Ok now!”
The third stone moved slower than the first two and fell down the face of the tower clattering on the cobles below. Bayleen withdrew a pendant that was shaped like a shell. It was carved from some pink looking stone with gold coral holding a black pearl. The whole piece lit up so Bayleen quickly slipped it into his other pocket.
“Go back to the path down the tower. Move quickly the guard may not see us but he suspects we are here.” Bayleen nodded his head towards the base of the tower where the guard swiftly approached the stone that had fallen out of the wall. As they reached the balcony he peered up into the darkness looking for an explanation that was hidden from his view. As they descended the wall Audreena watched the guard closely. They moved slowly with extreme caution as one slip could send them hurtling to the cobbles just as the stone had and they would not survive such a fall. By the time they reached the bottom of the tower the guard had moved away and was talking to another guard who had been called to help solve the mystery.
They crept around the short wall surrounding the tower and eventually were far enough from the guards to safely navigate over the small stone wall and disappear into the tall grass beyond the tower. The grass swayed with the wind and they used this to mask their flight from the tower.
Nein was waiting right where they had left her and they settled once again on the strong back of the pegasus between her powerful wings as they lifted off and returned to Kiannanu with the jewelry that would save the mermaid princess.


© Copyright 2023 kat (katsbooks72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300474-The-Pendant-Of-Eshal