*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301038-Jack-and-Claire
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2301038
No kids invited to the wedding
“Jack, I thought you told your cousin no kids at our wedding?”

“She’s an infant, Claire, otherwise they can’t come.”

“What if she cries? And I already gave the head count to the hall.”

“Again, she’s an infant, she’s not going to eat. They’ll take her out if she cries.”

“She’s going to ruin our wedding. And I told my own cousin they couldn’t bring their kids so they aren’t coming. Now what are they going to say when they find out about this baby coming?”

“They won’t find out and this is different. Your cousin’s kids are like 5 and 6 or something, right?”

“Doesn’t matter. I said no kids and that includes infants—especially infants. You knew that, why did you tell them it was okay?”

“I didn’t. My mom did. She thought we would be fine with it when they spoke about it and it actually never came up until before.”

“Why would your mom do that? Why didn’t they ask us directly?”

“I don’t know. I think it was just a conversation and my mom was like ‘Of course you can bring the baby.’”

“Jeez, Jack, it wasn’t her place to say that! Now what are we going to do? Tell them they can’t bring her.”

“Look, they already flew in. Nothing we can do about it now.”

“Tell them to get a babysitter!”

“How? They’re 1000 miles from home, took the baby on a plane, it’s not their fault.”

“You’re right. It’s your mom’s fault. Tell her to fix it.”

“I’m not calling my mom and telling her this the day before our wedding.”

“Why not?! She made this mess! It’s my wedding and I don’t want kids or babies there!”

Your wedding?”

“Ours. You know what I mean.”

“Do I? You’re right, actually. Your wedding. The venue, the food, music, photographer, cake, the guest list, all you. I didn’t even want this wedding—”

“What?—”

“The party, all those people. You know what I mean.”

“Well maybe I don’t know. Maybe I don’t know what it is you want. Maybe your mom is going to be doing this our whole married life. Maybe she’s going to speak for us without our input. I cannot live our lives like that!”

“Claire, you’re overreacting. My mom didn’t mean to undermine you or me. She’s very supportive. Even when she knew I didn’t feel comfortable with this big wedding, she never said a bad word about it.”

“Why should she? It’s not her wedding, it’s ours!”

“If it’s ours then where do my wishes come in? Is this how it’s going to be when we’re married? You making all the decisions and throwing a fit when I make some of my own?”

“Throwing a fit? I’ll show you throwing a fit!”

“Claire! Claire! Are you nuts? That’s the China my mother got us! What are you—stop it Claire! You’re breaking it. Whoa—! You almost hit me!”

“I don’t want anything in my house from your mother! She’s ruining my wedding! Get away from me! I’m going to smash every last dish!”

“Oh my goodness! You’re crazy! I’ve got no shoes on! My feet—Claire! Stop it!”

“I will not stop it. There! That plate is for her audacity! That one is for her stupidity. This one? Oh, this one is for her 'support.' Hey—let me go!”

“Claire! Claire, stop it! Stop it now!”

“Jack…Jack let me go!”

“Claire, dammit, my feet are full of glass and you’ve lost your mind.”

“…….”

“…….”

“…….”

“I can’t do this.”

“Don’t walk away from me!”

“Oh I am walking away. I’m done. There is no way I’m going to marry you after this. I don’t want this life. What a blessing this was, it showed me who you really are when it comes right down to it.”


WC: 641










© Copyright 2023 Lorelei (serendipity15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301038-Jack-and-Claire