*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301334-Matud-Nila-meaning-According-To-Them
by Naomi
Rated: E · Documentary · Family · #2301334
Our Papa's Favorite Song
Matud Nila

A Cebuano Love Song..Cebuano is our dialect here in Cebu, Philippines.

Our Papa died at the age of 84 on January 09, 2012 due to cancer.
On January 01, we had a family gathering, A New Year Party for our Family Circle. Our Papa was brought by two of his grandsons , both are Nurses , by a Wheelchair to the Poolside Area where lunch buffet was being prepared by my sister Eve, the owner of Eve's Dive Kiosk Resort in our locality. All his children were there except for Jerey , who died in the year 2002. His grandchildren were all present. Those who worked or live in other countries went home especially for that occasion. Everyone was informed that he has a stage 4 terminal cancer.

After our lunch , we started the family program. I was the host of the program. We started with a Family Prayer led by our Mama. There were group singing, dancing, duets, poetry recitation and a few short speeches.

Then I announced, the next part is a very special number of our Dearest Papa. We all gave him a warm applause. Papa smiled. My brother
Nelson gave him the guitar. He strummed the guitar while sitting at the wheel chair. He said these words :
This song is for your Mama and for all of you...
Instead of singing from the start of the song he started the Refrain which of the highest notes:

"Dili malubad kining pagbati
Bisan sa tanan nga katarungan "
Meaning my feelings will never fade
even for all the given reasons.

I had to turn my back and not face the audience as I was sitting in the right corner while Papa was singing at center area. I cannot control my tears.


Everyone was holding his or her tears listening and watching Papa singing his favorite song wholeheartedly those who cannot control their tears turned their backs so Papa cannot see them crying. After he sang Matud Nila , Papa had a duet with Mama . They were singing Besame Mucho. After that everyone went to Papa and Mama , one by one placing each hand in their
forehead as blessing we called in our country
Mano Po.

That was the last time we heard Papa singing. Two days after that he refused to eat food and drank only Milo choco drink during meal times.On the 7th my sister Eve bought plenty of Rice delicasies called Bingka , Papa's favorite. Still , he refused to eat. When I arrived at our ancestral home and saw the Bingka, I told Papa :
" I am very hungry but I will not eat if you do not eat " He smiled and replied " Ok, let's eat."
He consumed 4 pieces. I was delighted.

The following day, he refused to eat again and told me : I cannot eat. My whole body is in pain."
I replied: "I pray that the pain will be lessened Pa so you will eat again with me. "
He said : " Yes ..please pray for me."
In the afternoon, the wife of my brother Nelson visited Papa with her 3 o'clock Sacred Heart of Jesus Prayer Group. They offered prayers for Papa. Papa said that the pain was lessened but still he refused to eat and only drink Milo.

On the morning of the 9th , he told me.
" My Sisters visited me in my dreams. They are very happy in my dreams. I did not reply because I felt there was a lump in my throat as all her sisters were already dead. Still he refused to eat.

I went home in the afternoon. Our house is only a hundred meters away from Papa and Mama's house. After an early dinner, I slept right away. At 9 P.M.. my husband woke me up telling me that my brother Nelson is waiting for me outside in his car and it was about Papa.

Nelson told me to hurry up because Papa was asking for me. When we arrived at Papa' s place all my siblings and nieces and nephews were there. Nelson and me were holding each hand of Papa. He did not reply when I told him , " I am here Pa." He held my hand firmly and took a long last breath. Nelson said, "Papa is at rest now. No more pain for him. Welcome him in Paradise Jer."
Jerey is our brother who died in the year 2002.
Everyone was informed and crying were so loud. Nelson said : Yes...Cry...however we put in our hearts that Papa is not suffering anymore."
The crying sound lessened.

Our Papa was the village chief and everyone paid respect to him during the wake. I can feel the love and respect of the people for him as I heard stories about Papa on how he touched their lives in his own wonderful ways.

In the first day of his wake, we took pictures of him in the open casket. In the picture there was this big ray of light the one that the 3 oclock prayer Ray of light was clearly seen. Everyone was telling me that Jesus Christ welcomes Papa in Paradise.

His memory forever lives in our hearts. And his song will always be on the air for us to forever honor him..

We love You Papa beyond forever.

© Copyright 2023 Naomi (akomagsusulat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301334-Matud-Nila-meaning-According-To-Them