*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301345-Something-new
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2301345
A tale as old as time. (wip)
They hunted us because we were different.

A story as old as time itself I suppose, one that seems doomed to repeat in an endless cycle of us versus them. Whilst who they are and who we are seems to change, at the same time it never truly does. It's quite simple; those with power can only ever rule via hope or fear. When the illusions of hope deteriorate those at the top need an enemy – a bogeyman – to gather the people together to point the finger at, to blame, to oppress and “prevent” the very thing they themselves seek to implement.

In our case, as is often the case, we are something new; a different thing amongst the flat grey masses of same. Is our existence a threat? So the propaganda would have people believe.
The outlandish tales that I've heard and read over the years are innumerable, the truths we had shared amongst ourselves have been so oft taken, distorted, misrepresented and thus misinterpreted by those with little knowledge. We had thought ourselves a spark, a light in the dark, a few that could shine ahead of the pack and lead to better times.
To those that have sought for so long to preserve the status-quo and with it retain their wealth and influence we became the first spark of a potential wildfire that threatened everything and everyone, and they pushed this concept. “The smallest spark can burn the world.” and other such drivel.
At one point we'd thought to hit back with memetics of our own; we were the new immortals.
A sort of deterrent, akin to the old days of witches who allowed and spread propaganda in order to be left alone, the irony is not lost on me and in retrospect I think we'd have been better off never attempting it. It did work for a short time, that is until the first one of us was gunned down by a group of gangers looking to make a name for themselves. It quickly became a game after that, to this day I wonder if the person they killed was even one of us or if it was just a false flag psy-op. It doesn't really matter as the result has been very much the same, like anyone else we could be killed and the world knew it.

So, why are we different? Why on earth would we say to the world that we're immortals and how on earth did it work for even a short time? Why has humanity been deceived in to thinking we're such great threat that if even one of us walks free we could destroy the world?

Well, we are a new yet also very old thing. It's not about our political alignment, it's not about our skin colour, our wealth, our health, nor are we some conquering army. Regardless of what the propaganda tells people, it's not about religion and we're not a cult. The reality is quite simple; despite hundreds of years of experimentation, ritual, masses of wealth and lifetimes spent researching, we can do what those in power cannot; Magick – and we aren't working for them.
© Copyright 2023 M S Groves (slick187 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301345-Something-new