*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301435-Dreaming-Big
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2301435
Angel laid down to sleep. This is what she remembers the next morning.
I was only 12 years old at that time I had the weirdest dream. I still remember it vividly. The night was cold and scary. But that wasn't important. What was important was the dream. My name was Angel Riteff. I was fated to become an animal tamer back then. My dream was spoken later on. The thunder kept me awake until I fell asleep. Then this dream appeared:

A flash of light struck the tree by the trailer house. A spark flew by and I looked up. Flames started crawling from one leaf to the next. A branch fell revealing a nest full of eggs. I ran over to the nest and saw the eggs were still in good shape. Not a single break found. I didn't know if I was young or old, but seemed to me that I was young. My hair was long and I could run. Still, the eggs needed to be rescued. I bent down and picked them up. One by one they were moving around. A crack appeared in the eggs. They were hatching! Only two of the five eggs hummed against my skin. Were these my first creatures and animals?

I couldn't wait for the answer. The trailer house started catching on fire. My family was inside! What kind of family did I have? Surely it would be my parents, brothers, and sister. I yelled before going to the door. No matter how I turned the knob, it just wouldn't move. They locked it! Then I ran past my car. Wait, I had a car? It seemed logical, as if that was the only solution. The fire spread and the eggs cracked some more. I had to get out of here. I turned and ran as fast as I could with grocery bags in one hand full of food like real meat and a pillow in my backpack in my other hand. Winded after 25 minutes, I stopped. I was standing by a gas station that closed for the night.

Then I set the eggs down on the cement. Two heads appeared and it looked like the creatures from the larger eggs were snakes! Then the other eggs opened enough to reveal birds. What kind of birds were they? I didn't know. Their beaks looked like that of a Robin. Robins would fly away of course unless I could talk to them. Then the snake eggs opened up completely revealing not snakes but scaley birds. Only one species I studied about could be scaley birds. Only the wings had feathers as well as the tail, which revealed to be a hybrid of a snake. These creatures couldn't be the Ultimate Snake Phoenix. Yet nowhere, in my mind, could they be anything else. My heart leapt with joy and I smiled. I didn't remember that I would be able to suddenly talk to animals by impressing them or how to impress creatures. But here I was, with two Ultimate Snake Phoenixes and a new life ahead of me. I was devastated about the loss of my family and home. Now I was an orphan who had two creatures and three birds to raise.

I had a family of creatures to raise. After the eggshells fell off them I carefully placed them in a box I also had. It was time to go to the tower. Not just any tower, but Esotropia Wane Tower. It was small, but packed full of businesses and home by magic. This magic wouldn't break. The babies needed attention, so I ran to the bus stop with everything. A special bus arrived and I showed the driver my babies. After I sat down they woke up.

"Mommy, can you hear us?" they cried in unison.

"Yes, I can hear you. But how can you talk? I only just impressed two of you," I said.

"We are Ultimate Snake Phoenixes and bound to follow your lead for the rest of your life. We need names and pouches to live in," one of the phoenixes said.

"I don't have a pouch and you're a creepy bird. Still, I don't know how to name you. I'll get confused."

"You'll become a Master Trainer, won't you? I need a name."

"Taylor for you. Kaylie for the other one. Next three will be Spotty, Favorable, and Lucky. They don't speak and I forget. Wait a second, you all spoke to me."

When I realized what was going on I wondered how could they speak. Then I realized that the one speaking could grant me the powers to speak. They cheered upon hearing their names and promised me they'd remember. I knew then that something was up. Was this how my future to become an animal master to start out as? As I wondered the scene changed and then I was in a building. Grown animals and creatures surrounded me. There were many, as well as a few young animals and creatures. I noticed a couple griffons looking up at me and, was that a smile on their faces?

"You are on your way into the animal master school Lovewurst University! What a beautiful moment this is. The feathers and scales are soaring with pride," one of the griffons said. It seemed as if I knew their names but I couldn't remember. Then a person came in with a mail. I opened it up.

"Congratulations on your acceptance to Lovewurst University! We are glad to have you and hope you will have a wonderful time," I read out loud. The rest of the letter was read silently to myself. The animals and creatures around me cheered.

"We're so thankful you rescued us when you were young. The songbirds you raised were happy to be free and I can't ever forget the feeling of being cared for and treated well. You do your best to follow the rules yet care about our safety. Still, we are here to serve you and will serve you along the way in the university as well. We can't go there except when asked and we look forward to being there under your guidance. There is still a lot to learn before becoming an animal master and this is one giant leap for you to chase your dreams," an Ultimate Snake Pheonix said, bowing its head. This pheonix looked way different, yet somehow I knew the name. Yet I couldn't remember.

"Thank you Taylor. I think we need to relax for a day. The day I saved you from the burning tree I will never forget. It was such a nightmare, but I'm glad to have you two hatched and grown. Now, I'm going to college and hope to meet others like me. This is a big moment and I've learned to get used to you all talking to me. This is such a dream, one I don't want to wake up from," I said, apparently remembering his name in my dream.

"Yes, don't look back now! I'm Elsa by the way. If I'm not frozen then I'm on fire," a voice said and I turned, looking up at an ice cube with bat wings and no body. I wasn't familiar with the creature at all.

"The principal would like to meet with you. Hurry, he doesn't have much time. Merwrinkle is his name. Soon I'll be turned into fire if you can't find the neverending ice stone. I need it and he doesn't have the time to look for it. So hurry," Elsa said. As I tried to grasp these words I also tried to figure out what the creature is. It sounded like from a movie I saw. Maybe the principle was a fan of that movie and named the creature after it. I didn't want to do such things.

I woke up with a start. A loud rumble could be heard and then I looked out the window. A flash of lightning struck and rain started pouring. Then I smelled smoke and saw the air had grown hazy. My family and I needed to get out and fast. I was too young to face the kitchen though. They were trapped by flames leaping up. I ran outside hoping they were already out. That's when I noticed the tree beside my house had fallen and there was a nest with seven eggs. The nightmare I remembered was coming true.

Prompt: A dream
Word Count: 1,408
Contest: "Out of The Fog Contest - Open March 1st
© Copyright 2023 Angelica- House Florent B & W (dragonfish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301435-Dreaming-Big