*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301496-Palette-Content
Rated: E · Article · Other · #2301496
Palette Content
Color Selections

You can find entire books on the psychology and science of colors and the implications for desining online presentations. We're not going to be that deep here--just some general guidelines.

Also, as with our remarks in the section on navigation, our ideas here aren't applicable to most pages on Writing.Com.  Our focus is on launch pages for more complex content.  By a launch page, we mean that users access the content by clicking on buttons that either launch new pages or use dropnotes to reveal the content without leaving the main page.   The actual content is most often best formatted with convential text formatting tools.

With that out of the way, let's talk a little bit about things you can and can't control.

First, every page will have a primary color.That's not true for every web page, but it's true for the pages we can create as users on Writing.Com. It's a good news/bad news situation, though.  The good news is that we don't have to choose a primary color--it's something the user sets in their account practices.  The bad news is that this color could be white, light yellow, or varying shades of gray.  Whatever the user has selected is automatically the background for the page and hence the dominate color. That pretty much makes it the primary color.

However, the default background color is white, so it's a good bet that most users will have that as their background.  Moreover, all of these colors are neutral, so they won't clash with almost other color choices. However, the darkest background can have implications for contrast--more on that later.

Given that any page has a default primary color, you still need to choose a color palette.  For launch pages, which is what we are writing about, these will primarily be for things like the graphical elements used as navigational links and maybe the text colors used in those elements. 

How many colors?
Color Palette.
Choosing your Palette
The Psychology of Color.
© Copyright 2023 Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈 (mathguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301496-Palette-Content