*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301617-Generic-Contest-Format
Rated: E · Article · How-To/Advice · #2301617
Customizable Generic Contest Format
Just for grins, we've created a sample template file for contests using some of the techniques in "Ideas on Page Design.  This  sample template is fully customizable, and is complete with a set of buttons based on a short scan of those used in existing contests.  The template is just a container file into which you can insert your own contest logo and information.

I've created a second set of more artistic-looking buttons with a brushstroke background and font, so there are now two versions of this.  Here's what they look like:
 
STATIC
Contest Template Container  (E)
Contest Template Container
#2301609 by Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈

 
STATIC
Generic Contest Container--Brush Theme  (E)
Generic Contest Container--uses brushstroke background and font
#2301639 by Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈


These templates are based on the one used in
FORUM
Tales Shown, Not Told OLD FORMAT  (18+)
A short story contest with a focus on showing, not telling.
#2295490 by Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈


The template uses dropnotes as a navigational device.  While you could just type your text for each button between the {dropnote} and {/dropnote} tags for that button, I recommned instead that you place that information in a static item. You can then use an {insert:#######} tag to insert the text into the template.  This makes it easier to edit (and debug) the WritingML. 

Note that {insert:#######}  only works with static items and web pages.  Also, the inserted text does not appear to "preserve spacing" no matter how you've set that option in your static items.  Finally, while nested dropnotes are generally not permitted, if you use {insert:#######}  with this template, the inserted static item may have dropnotes even though it is called from within a dropnote.

Feel free to use or modify this template as you see fit.  If you use or modify it, please retain the copyright notice in the code below.

Here's the code that produces that file. To use it, copy it to your own file.



                                                                               


Code for standard, green, generic contest

Code for brush stroke, handwriting Contest Container, blue
                                                                               


How to rearrange the buttons in these templates




Compressed ZIP archives are available for the buttons and WritingML mentioned above as well as the 48 buttons mentioned in "Ideas on Page Design.  You may download these from this location  .  This link expires on 9/9/2024, after which you should contact Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈 to request a copies.

All text and images are © copyright 2023 by Max Griffin and are distributed under the provisions of the 
Creative Commons CC-BY-NC License Creatifve  Commons Liscence  

which permits free use of the material in any medium or format for noncommercial purposes only, and only so long as attribution is given to the creator (for example, in text area of your WDC image file).
© Copyright 2023 Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈 (mathguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301617-Generic-Contest-Format