*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301824-MATT-DUGGAN---DETECTIVE-SERIES
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #2301824
Episode V: Part Xl - The Case of the Nefarious Nephew
Part Xl





“Whoa, Morelli’s really giving it to him this time,” Delia turned and announced, standing in the hallway outside the FBI conference room. She could hear the Bureau’s lead agent raking Matt over the coals through the closed doors.

“I hope he brought a set of ass-plates,” Holland added.

“Brought what?” agent Anderson asked, a puzzled look appearing.

“He’s being facetious,” Delia uttered.

“Morelli’s making Gunny’s string of ass-chewings from the movie, ‘Full Metal Jacket,’ look like the sermon on the mount,” agent Anderson chimed in. “The last thing you ever want is to be on the receiving end of a brow beating from that guy. And I can tell you that from personal experience, trust me.”

“It doesn’t help that everyone’s been up all night,” Delia said. She looked at her watch. It was a little after eight in the morning. Looking up, she noticed attorney Erin Lauber turning the corner down the hallway, headed in their direction. Delia tapped Holland’s arm, then motioned in Lauber’s direction.

“Hey there,” Holland’s voice piped up.

“Hi everyone,” Lauber cheerfully announced. She was dressed modestly in a blue pantsuit covered by a tan all-weather coat. Enfolding Holland in a warm embrace, she then turned and gave Delia a quick hug.

“So, what’s the word?” Delia asked.

“It’s good,” Lauber grinned. “But before I say anything, who is this handsome, dark-suited gentleman?” she asked, craning her head at the other male standing next to Holland.

“Oops,” Delia blurted. “I guess I’m more fatigued than I thought.” She pivoted around and placed her hand on Anderson’s arm. “This is assistant lead agent John Anderson. He’s part of the FBI investigation team assigned to this case.”

Lauber smiled, then extended her hand. “Nice to meet you, agent Anderson.”

“My pleasure,” he said, shaking her hand in return.

“Alright,” Lauber began. “I just left the hospital where Melissa has been admitted. Everett contacted me subsequent to Matt and Delia’s successful investigation, followed by the FBI and MPD joint operation. She’s scheduled for a complete physical and psychological exam this afternoon. She’s in a private room and resting comfortably.”

“Speaking of our joint operation,” Agent Anderson chimed in, “What’s the situation regarding the remaining Paragon patients who were wrongfully admitted?”

“A court order will be issued shortly and delivered to Paragon ordering their release and transport to the same hospital for evaluation,” Erin explained. “I met the presiding Judge in his chambers early this morning. Afterward, they will be free to return home to their families.”

“I smell the aroma of numerous lawsuits stirring in the air,” Holland proclaimed.

“More like an oder,” Delia groused.

“That’s a whole other issue,” Lauber responded. She turned and faced Holland again. “I heard you declined the offer to be checked out at the same hospital.”

“I’m okay. It’s Melissa we’re all concerned about.”

“Trust me, she’s going to be just fine,” Lauber re-assured Holland, placing her hand on his shoulder. She craned her head in the direction of the conference room. “What’s all that yelling I’m hearing?” she asked.

“That’s Matt getting an earful from Morelli,” Delia replied.

Lauber shook her head and sighed. “Let me guess. Because he didn’t stand down like he was told until permission was received from J. Edgar Hoover in there -- he’s catching hell … am I right?”

Everyone gave a slight nod.

“Yeah, well, it’s time to yank that plug out of the wall,” she declared in a heavy voice. Walking toward toward the conference room double doors, agent Anderson sprinted ahead and attempted to block her.

“Ma’am, please don’t go in there,” he pleaded. “I’m sure whatever is going on, it’ll be over soon.”

“It’s over right now,” Lauber retorted. “Move out of my way, agent Anderson.”

Anderson paused, letting out a heavy breath before reluctantly stepping aside.

She grabbed the door handle and yanked it open, barreling through like a Chicago bears linebacker.

Matt and Morelli stood at the far end of the conference room table. Caught off guard, they both turned their head, a surprised look on their face.

“Who gave you permission to barge in?” Morelli gnarled.

Lauber scurried up to the lead FBI agent. “This interrogation is over.”

“It’s not an interrogation," Morelli angrily fired back.

Matt smirked. “It’s an ass-chewing — for not …”

“I don’t care what it’s for,” Lauber interrupted. She exchanged glances with Morelli and Matt, then locked eyes with Morelli. “If it weren’t for this man," turning and glimpsing at Matt, "both Melissa and Everett might be dead, not to mention the danger Delia was willing to risk by feigning suicide in order to be admitted inside that looney bin.” She paused. “If you have a problem with what I’m telling you, then go and get Grissinger and bring him in here, otherwise … you’re done.”

Morelli’s face took on a furious look. Without saying another word, he picked-up a manilla file lying on the table and exited the conference room, slamming the door behind him.

Matt looked at Erin and snorted a chuckle. “He wanted to lambast Delia as well. I told him he’d have to kick my ass before I’d allow that to happen.”

Lauber smiled. “You’re an excellent investigator, Matt. That could have something to do with Morelli’s fury.”

Matt furrowed his brow. “You mean professional jealousy?”

Erin placed her arms around his neck. “It was you who located Melissa and Holland, not Morelli. Seems like you’re always one step ahead. It doesn’t make him look good when a retired police detective turned private investigator does a better job than his distinguished FBI colleague.”

“Morelli’s my friend. It’s not a competition,” Matt confided.

“Nevertheless, I want to thank you for what you did on behalf of my client, Melissa, and my dear friend, Everett.” Standing on her toes she leaned to kiss him, her perky breasts poking the front of his chest like darts on a game board, his hands resting on her hips as he drew her in.

Easing out of their embrace, Matt locked eyes with his client’s attorney. “You might not want to thank me too quickly,” he murmured with a half-smile.

Reacting with a puzzled look, she asked, “What do you mean?”

Reaching into his dress shirt pocket, Matt removed a small card. “This, to start,” he said, revealing a standard sized business raised foil calling card containing her law firm’s details.

Erin gave the card a hard look. “Yes, it’s my business card. What’s that got to do with anything?”

“It fell out of Shyner’s shirt pocket after his arrest … before he was transported to the local jail.”

Lauber shook her head. “I don’t get it. What was he doing with it?”

Walking several steps around the conference table and holding the card by its edge, Matt stopped abruptly and turned around. “Shyner claims he picked it up off the floor of the warehouse, right before he walked out of the facility with his hands held high in the air. He said the gold foil on the card gleaned, even in the darkened building.”

Erin shrugged her shoulders. “So what? I wouldn’t trust anything that two-bit lying huckster has to say. He’s finished as an attorney. Even if he pleads guilty he’ll die in prison.” She paused, then gave an anxious look. “Do you believe him?”

“That he picked-up the card in the warehouse? Yes, as a matter of fact, I do,” Matt answered, "but not because he was interested in any legal advice from you,” he continued, “but it does beg the question: ‘Why was your card in that warehouse at that specific time?’”

Lauren pulled a face. “Everett must have been carrying it with him,” she speculated. “We’ve known each other for years. He’s taken several of my cards. Maybe it was in his pocket when Sutton abducted and wheeled him into the …”

“Wearing a hospital gown?” Matt interrupted. " Hospital gowns don’t have pockets.”

Erin looked at him for a long while, this time without expression. “Just what are you getting at?” She finally asked.

“And were you aware the previous hospital administrator, Milton O’Toole, was reported missing from Paragon during the early morning hours the abduction of Melissa and Holland occurred?” Matt grilled, ignoring her question.

“I have no idea what you’re taking about.”

“And I’m sure you’ll tell me you don’t know anything about why your business cards were found in O’Toole’s dark colored clothing scattered about his room, and among his personal effects after he mysteriously returned to Paragon later that same morning?”

“I’m not saying another thing,” she abruptly fired back.

“Good job, Matt," a voice in the background could be heard saying. Erin spun around. FBI attorney Grissinger and lead FBI agent Morelli were standing several feet away, having walked into the room through a concealed door in the wall behind the opposite end of the oval conference table.

“We have O’Toole in another room,” Morelli announced. "Unlike Ms. Lauber here, he’s singing like a canary, to quote the infamous phrase. It’s all on video.”

“Enough that we can arrest and charge both of you with criminal conspiracy and the murder of Doctor Lundsten,” Grissinger added. He turned and looked at Morelli.

“Read Judge Judy her rights.”


Click to read Episode V Part XII - "MATT DUGGAN - DETECTIVE SERIES
© Copyright 2023 jonblair (jonjacques at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301824-MATT-DUGGAN---DETECTIVE-SERIES