*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301953-Desert-Village
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2301953
A Fairy and her friends realize they must leave their home as men have claimed the land.
"Desert Village"
By
W. P. Gerace
Mercy could not believe what she was seeing this early dawn morning. Her quiet village, known to many of the Indian Reservations as Desert Village, was being taken over by towering big men. Flittering about her petite body dressed in her pink gown almost crushed several times by the large giants stamping through the area. The atmosphere of a tiny village is gone, she thought frighteningly as she flew around. These men were miles high and robust, with massive muscles carrying large pails filled with wood and other supplies. Their mouths were dirty, too, and they disturbed Mercy with what they said. She wanted to turn one of them into a creature and feed them to the field mice, but that would be against the fairy code.

Quietly observing from the North Mountain as she sat on the hills, dark brown rocks, the late June sun blazing down on her causing her neck to burn. Though she was a fairy, she was part human too, as her mother was a mortal and her father was a fairy, so she would get the same physical feelings humans did. The only good thing was it lasted only a short time. She could not believe the Indians would sell their land and allow these monsters to take over the place. Desert Village was a wide-spread valley of lush green grass nestled between the towering Northern mountains hidden from mankind. The area was home to thousands of animals that called this place their home.

"I see they have finally discovered us, my friend. "Walking up behind her, Abby, her friend, a female coyote, walked up, her sleek greyish hair rustling against Mercy's soft skin tickling her.

"I know. Where do we go? "Mercy wondered.

"We are going nowhere. This is our land. "Vexar, the black-haired wolf roared, howling along the way as he ran down the other end of the mountain.

"Oh boy, here comes trouble. "Abby whispered, blinking her dark eyes.

"I heard that woman. Speak for yourself soon, large buildings appear, and we will be driven from our homeland. We must take a stand now and show mankind we are not taking this standing down. "Vexar leaped down the hill baring his teeth at the men.

Growling, he was about to jump on the group leader, a short heavy man with red hair and a mustache. Mercy knew that Vexar would tear that man to pieces. Her fairy-do-good side wanted to put a stop to this. There were better ways to handle things. She needed to reach out to her other fairy friends, probably hiding in fear in the many large oak trees surrounding the area or rocks along the stream. She could hear the faint trickle of the Cactus Stream, its steady natural waters as they passed over the black stones that had been in these parts for centuries. Mercy could not help but wonder what would happen to all the wildlife and her friends once the giants took everything away.

Disrupting her worried thoughts were three quick boisterous fire crack sounds. One of the giant leader's men, a young fellow who was quite tall and muscular, had a long rifle in his hand. Aiming straight for Vexar, he shot him three times straight into his gut and throat. Vexar's sable hair was matted with blood as he wailed and whimpered in pain. Mercy did not think she would ever get the idea of seeing his dark eyes staring at her as he collapsed onto the grass outside of her head.

"Nooooo! "Abby cried.

"We must be calm, my friend. They are way more powerful and more robust than we realized. We must find a new place to call home as much as we hate this. "Mercy said, rubbing her small hand on Abby's back.

The brutes started putting up these environmental friendly fences around the village. They were made from bamboo. It appeared their light brown sticks were tucked neatly into these black rectangles. Shocked as to why they would take such measures when they had clear intentions of harming. Mercy's knowledge of humans, even though she was called to help and protect them, they were selfish and destructive and had no concern for the Earth or nature. They sucked the Earth dry of all its resources. She did plenty of reading up on this in her spare time.

Vexar lay silently on the floor as the men worked around him. Slowly converting this once quiet, serene community into another one of their many cities filled with noise and pollution, Mercy felt many of her friends here would either love it or hate it. There are those here that love being close to humans, and then some, like she and Abby, prefer to be in the quiet confines of mother nature.

"I think I have seen enough today. Shall we go, my friend?" Mercy asked Abby, who was still sniffling, tears falling down her face.

"Yes, let us leave this place. I am still determining where we will go. "

"We will find a place. Let us go to the stream one last time, hear the soft sound of the water, and watch it splash across the black rocks. We could get some of our friends to go with us. Those of us who don't want to live amongst the humans. "

Flying along, Abby Mercy enjoyed the fresh scent of the woods and nature one last time. Soon this will be no more. Tears falling down her face now, she wished she could use her powers just once for revenge.
© Copyright 2023 W.P. Gerace (phoenixdude71 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301953-Desert-Village