*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302282-A-Day-of-Tears-and-Candy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Esion
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2302282
Story based on the DnD Campaign I'm currently playing, thanks Kai for the beautiful story!
Three years ago a young Tiefling not older than five and purplish in appearance would be running around the streets of Bellhurst hand in hand with her mother.

For the two of them that would be a great celebration, a city guard wasn't granted a day off so easily after all, so they made sure to dress for the occasion, even going to the extent of matching their outfits. They would be jumping from place to place, shopping for dresses, quirky hats and accessories, visiting food stalls all around the main square, crossing the river back and forth many times just to see the boats pass by under the bridge, and resting on the benches of the park with a warm drink in hand.

"Candy! Candy!" She would shout so excitedly, jumping up and down as she pointed her finger at the bright red hair partially covering an Elf's pointed ears, sheepishly passing by. She would run off from her mother just to greet her.
Yet the Elf, overwhelmed by her surroundings, didn't notice the kid at first. Like she had just woken up from a long sleep and forgotten everything about herself, from the world she lives in to even her very own name. Her bright and somewhat wavy hair was now a mess just as much as her clothes, which were also too light and unfit for the frigid region. In between her arms a small owl white as the snow on the ground was just as scared and cold, but nonetheless found the strength to hoot once and bring the attention of the young elf back to her surroundings.

The Tiefling would then ask "Hey miss! Is your hair made of candy?" with such a joyful voice that it had warmed a slight smile on the Elf's face, but before she could answer, her mother rushed to the them. "Neasa! Be respectful sweetie!" And she would proceed to exchange some small talk with the passerby on their behalf.
"Oh, I see you're cold? Here, take this, I can handle the cold so it'd be of much better use to you, don't worry!" So the Tiefling would gift the Elf her jacket.
"Bye bye candy lady!" Neasa would shout before parting ways with the unnamed Elf.
"Candy, huh?" She would murmur under her breath as if pondering over something, whilst checking her messy hair.

Today instead the young Neasa would be running for her life. Her mother had instructed her to stay hidden in their home until reinforcements would come and evacuate the city through the northern gates, as she had to fight down the river, holding the south-most front for as long as her and her soldiers could.

A few hours had passed and the city was now under siege, the outer walls had fallen and the soldiers proudly raising the Union's banners were raiding and pillaging the city, as if they were there just to wreck havoc like madmen. Neasa's home was now surrounded in flames like many other houses that were turning ashen black, her mother was nowhere in sight and she could faintly hear the horns of Nochini generals leading the retreat on the other side of the northern district, so she did the only thing she could and ran down the half burnt staircase, jumping into the dangerous streets through the house's partially covered by flames door frame.

Behind her the buildings would slowly crumble down as the war would go on. She found herself dodging falling soldiers, rubble, and even giant boulders hurled by some trebuchet far off in the city's outskirts, running to the best of her ability to the other side of the city just to meet with any one soldier who could point her towards the escape route, she would cover her ears in an attempt to deafen the sound of dying men and women, the metal clanging of iron weapons as she told herself that her mother was still out there on her feet, protecting kids and being the hero she has always been to her.

There in the middle of the street the fight would dampen, as nobody seemed courageous enough to fight next to the mounted Agraphal that just landed: a creature resembling a dragon in shape with an elongated neck and an eagle's head, massive wings and a beautiful split tail, all covered in majestic black and white feathers. There at its' feet a tall grayish goliath was standing in a sort of trance in front of a floating amulet for not more than a minute while another humanoid shape covered from head to toe in turquoise flames would frantically look around the city in search for something.

Suddenly a voice from atop the Agraphal would go shouting "Are you two done here?! We can't stay much longer, if somebody sees us they might think we're involved somehow!"
"And what if? It's not like we need to answer the king or anything." Replied the Goliath.
"Do you really want to be hunted down even in Nochi?! Because I don't!"
"Candy is right, Yema. We shouldn't make Nochi an enemy of ours. Not as long as we're planning to go there, at least." And the man engulfed in flames would jump back on the Agraphal's back. "We can leave now, come on Yema."
"See? At least Shishker gets it!" Added the red headed Elf.

To them, it has been a few minutes in the city but for Neasa it was just a glimpse of hope.
The battle was closing in on her as the Union's soldier were having the upper hand and suddenly the road to the rescue soldiers was cut off far ahead. Neasa started panicking, now not knowing where to run and just avoiding soldiers left and right. She decided to do the only thing that could save her, and before the Agraphal would lift off in the sky she would jump on one of its' legs, where she would hold herself for dear life.

Now at a few thousands of feet in the air, she would join in on the clueless group all the way to their landing in front of Nochi, Capital city of Nagana. Once landed after a couple days, the three of them would drop off the bird to stretch their sore bodies.
"Hold on, I know you! How did you get here?!" Candy shouted as she noticed Neasa holding on the Agraphal, turning the heads of her companions.
© Copyright 2023 Esion (esion at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302282-A-Day-of-Tears-and-Candy