*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302619-We-Stand-Together
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2302619
Written for "Not Just Another Brick in the Wall" contest.
I could barely sit still. Professor Rover, the golden lab, was droning on and on endlessly about the ins and outs of sniffing butts and about learning how to be a rule follower. He spoke of loyalty and service. This was supposed to be a class about human characteristics and dealing with humans safely. It was supposed to let us know how to live our lives the best we can by understanding human nature and how to avoid the pitfalls of dangerous interactions. He was droll and boring and slobbery and I couldn’t listen to another story about how a car ride literally saved his life. Or the millions of stories about how walking on a leash has taught him humility as well as where to find the best relief stations. I mean, really, I had no interest in his it’s-a-dog’s-life sermons and things that didn’t have anything to do with what I was there for.

I wanted—I needed to move. Or sleep. Either is okay with ferrets like me. I don’t know how my two snake friends, Sherlock and Rigatoni, stay so still. Well, Rigatoni is a ball python and he’s probably just sleeping anyway because he’s up nights but who can tell? His eyes are always open and you can’t know if he’s sleeping, so he doesn’t get in trouble.

I know Professor Rover said we could use the exercise equipment after class but I couldn’t wait that long. It was mostly balls with very few things to climb into anyway. I also needed to “go.” I got up and moved backward toward the corner. That prompted an extremely stern look from Professor Rover so I moved toward the papers instead. I felt very exposed and by someone who clearly didn’t understand who I was and what I needed.

At dinner I told my family what was going on at school and how this class and this teacher were the wrong fit for me.

“I’m not learning anything helpful,” I said. “And we have to sit there and listen to his stories that have nothing to do with the class subject. Sometimes he even embarrasses us. He doesn’t understand our differences.”

“Glint, honey, Professor Rover is very smart. He has many certifications in his area,” mom said.

“That’s just it, mom. His area. He’s so different than me. It’s like apples and oranges. Or like cats and dogs,” I said.

My father chimed in, “I’m not going to let that dirty dog indoctrinate my son to his ways. It’s not right, I tell ya. Do you really want the boys to turn into a do-gooder, boot licker like him?”

“No. No, you’re right,” mom said. “But they have to learn the human safety course. It’s very important.”

“What about starting a study group,” my father suggested. “You can get your friends from the class together and have set study days and times. I can help, and Uncle Aurene. Then you won’t need that class.”

“Dad, you and Uncle Aurene can teach us so much! You can tell all you learned from being locked away when you were younger and how that young man first adopted you, then Uncle Aurene and how he transformed your lives,” I said.

Mom had tears in her eyes, “That’s a very difficult time for your father to talk about, Glint.”

Dad was nodding but then waved her off, “That’s just the thing these kits and kids and young ones need to hear. And not just kits like Glint, those lessons are for anyone, no matter where they come from or what they look like.”

I was so excited. I knew that my friends would much rather learn from my dad and uncle than Professor Rover. My father was my idol. I was even named after him. My brother, Aurene, was named after my uncle and we felt proud to tell others where we got our names. Their stories of strength and love always mesmerized me.

“Let’s set it up then,” my dad said. “We can start with twice a week, if that’s good for you all.”

“I’ll get names and times for it tomorrow,” I said and then just let loose through the living room, getting all my energy out scooting around and dooking with my nightly exercises. I saw some new items my mom set out. Professor Rover and his slow, unyielding ways faded from my mind as I playfully jumped my brother and we tumbled around the floor. Aurene was stronger and sometimes played dirty and mom would call out when she heard my squeaks and squeals.

----------
My friends were “all in” with the study group suggestion and the next day we met at my house for our first group. It was a bit chaotic because we were all playful but we settled down quickly when my dad came in. They all respected my dad. They knew he didn’t grow up like we did so they listened attentively when he began.

He cleared his throat and started, “When I was born, I was free. I ran and played and it was just wonderful. I don’t know what happened to change that but one day I was taken for a long car ride. My human family turned against me, saying I was too much work and I took food from my brothers. So they left me with these strangers at a shelter. I didn’t understand everything they said. I was young. And scared.”

“I was put into a tiny cage with others like me. It was cramped and we didn’t have a lot of room. There were fights for dominance and the people who took care of us weren’t very involved.”

“The others, they would come and go, some getting sick and never returning and some going with people that had happy, loving faces.”

“I would watch the people and learn their “tells.” Sometimes the loudest ones had the biggest compassion and would take me out and shower me with love. I could smell gentleness. I could feel it, see it in their faces. Hear it in their voices. But some people were just mean. So don’t always trust their words; a friend learned that the hard way. Some people would say the right things, take one of us home, but then they would return, skinny and neglected.”

“Not before long, I became one of the favorites. I knew when to be cute and when to be quiet. I got more and more time outside the enclosure. But still, I’d watch the people, always hoping a family would want me. Take me home. Love me.”

“One day I heard them talking about someone coming to visit me. They were happy and said this young man seemed a good fit. He came later that day with his mom. They weren’t experienced at all but he smelled of goodness and strength. I didn’t want to leave him. I felt his hesitation, though. He was unsure he could provide, he never adopted before, and so on. I could tell the mom was even more hesitant. But I knew. I knew this was my family.”

“Then Sam, one of the caretakers, came and told him how special I was and how lucky they’d be to have me. I buried my head when they put me back and walked away.”

We were all silent. My eyes were teary even though I knew what he would say next.

“Then all of a sudden I was wrapped in my blanket and handed back to the young man. The kindest eyes ever looked into mine and said he was taking me home. That I belonged with him. That we were family from that day on.” The cats started purring.

“He taught me so much about people, how to get along with all kinds, turn away from the dangerous ones and I learned to read people for my own survival. When my brother Aurene joined us as a special needs ferret, I learned about compassion and how we were alike after all even though he did things differently.”

“Professor Rover is correct that you can get through life obeying, but is that living or is that service? If we want to live and learn and see the world, and show others our worth, we have to overcome the obstacles and the people who stand in our way. That’s what we hope to teach you.”

The room erupted with squawks and yelps and hisses of excitement. I was so proud of my dad.

“Large, commercial obedience schools can be fine for those like Professor Rover and other service dogs, and some may like his ways. That’s fine for them. We can do this in small groups and learn targeted to us. We are all different and learn in different ways. Glint will help me form the groups. Even those of you called “bad,” “unable to learn,” “untrainable” etc., we will help you here. Everyone has the right to learn the best way they can for who they are. Let’s get started.”

“Cats can meet by the scratching post near the big box, birds by the window, the brave dogs that are here can sit by the door, the snakes can meet under the log on the porch, and lastly Glint, Aurene and the rest of the ferrets can meet at the ball pit.”

“We’re going to talk about how to differentiate each group to meet their own special needs. And next time Professor Rover goes off-track, or makes you feel unworthy, get up and walk out. Not even a teacher has the right to make you feel that way.”

---------

Bolstered now with their newfound esteem and camaraderie, when Professor Rover started to drag on about how dogs were the superior species, I remembered what my dad said and got out of my seat dragging my books in my mouth and backed out of the room. As I was leaving I saw two birds fly out the window. The cats turned their backs, lifted their tails and sauntered out, until one by one the room was empty. Except maybe for Rigatoni who looked like he was paying attention. Aurene went back for him because we don’t leave anyone behind.

Professor Rover barked and barked, even snarling and growling for us to return. We saw Principal Mufasa go in the classroom and as we all walked away from the school, we heard him roar so loud that the windows shook and the barking turned into a whimper as Professor Rover left school with his tail between his legs.



WC 1767
© Copyright 2023 Lorelei (serendipity15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302619-We-Stand-Together