*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302671-Contest
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2302671
Listening to music can be relaxing as long as you can hear it.
         When I worked in the Pre-Press/Prelim Department at R.R. Donnelley, Inc. Printing in the Color Editing department in the late 1990s and early 2000s, we played a radio in the background. Depending who arrived first in the morning determined the type of music station played during that day. It was an amicable arrangement, and no one complained.
         I mainly listened to Classical music, such as Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Barber, etc., so on the days I arrived first, we listened to Public Radio stations or the seldom-found stations that played classical music.
         One of my friends and co-workers loved all types of Country music. She would listen to the same station whenever she arrived first. If one of her favorite songs came on, she would sing or hum along. After a while, I became a fan of the music, even though some of the lyrics didn't make sense to me.
         For example, I could never understand why or how the married man in the song could expect his wife to stay with him with four hundred children and a crop in the field. I would leave him if I had that many kids and my spouse did nothing but lollygag around.
         When I asked my friend about this song, she laughed for about five minutes before she caught her breath. She then took time and explained the piece slowly to me.
         I felt silly. From that day forward, I wore my hearing aids all the time.
"You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille
With
four hungry children and a crop in the field
I've had some bad times
Lived through some sad times
This time your hurtin' won't heal
You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille."

                             Kenny Rogers
                             "Lucille" Originally came out in 1977.

© Copyright 2023 J.R. PETE (jtpete86 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302671-Contest