*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302992-The-Old-Man
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Death · #2302992
An old man in with mercenaries looked familiar to a Space Marine colonel
Colonel Mack Pine stood watching the replacement troops as they slowly walked into the large court yard. Many soldiers, many species, and a few warriors among them.
Pine was a large, muscular man. At just over six feet tall, and at two hundred thirty lean pounds, he was as fit as the best of them. Dressed in dark brown fatigues that matched the local area of mountains around them, he stood with the other officers of this group of Terrans.
After a tremendous battle a week ago, they had lost a substantial amount of soldiers and equipment, thus these mercenaries that came when asked, for a price of course. New tanks, walkers, mechs, and other equipment were due later today, but some of these people had their own machines, which he didn’t mind, except to help repair them.
One large mechanical came walking to the entrance of the court yard that the head towered above the walls. Pine had noticed it vaguely looked familiar in some distant part of his mind.
Thirty feet tall, with what looked like a large rifle on it’s back. It had seen better days as many dents and scorch marks were seen on many places and the cockpit window had a few cracks, but nothing too bad.
It had lowered to one knee enough for the cockpit to slide open and a large man easily jumped down to the ground. And this man had seen better days also.
Just as large as Pine, and as tall, he had taken off his helmet of what was once a dark blue but had faded to a lighter color. There were bandoleers of grenades, power packs and other hand weapons across his body. But what was surprising was a large three point cross hanging from his neck by a thick chain.
Hopefully this person’s religion will not interfere in his fighting skills, though he appeared to be a capable man.
The old man didn’t even glance up at the officers who were standing on a balcony looking down on him and the others, who were gathering into a crowded mass.
General Solac had walked up at that moment to look down at the soldiers below. And after a few minutes for everyone to quiet down did the top officer gave an address on their call to arms, their honorable willingness to help in the fight to free this land of the pirates that laid claim to this moon.
And then they were dismissed and they were offered food and drink from nearby caterers. The large group moved to them.
Pine was soon walking among the mercenaries, and there was no surprise of the lack of discipline, at least to most of them. And once again did he see the old man from the mech, and he was surrounded by a group of young toughs, who were making fun of his old age, his probable slowness. But he said or did nothing, at the moment.
One of the five young men had reached for the cross hanging from the elder’s neck and in a blur of action did the old man swat the hand away and grabbed the other’s head and brought it down to his lifted right knee, thus breaking the nose.
The other men were in stunned silence, even as the old man casually brought out a dark well worn short sword with a wide blade and brought forth a dark gray triangular metal shield from his back and stood at a crouch, ready for combat.
No one moved a muscle at the swiftness, and the feline movements of the old man. He was a professional warrior.
Good, Pine had thought, we need experienced soldiers.
Then, the younger men grabbed their bloodied friend and slowly walked away. Fellow warriors and soldiers just nodded in respect to the old man who had relaxed and sheathed his sword, but held the shield in his left hand.
After about ten minutes did the old man replace his shield on his back and then casually went to the many tables of food and drink where he had gotten a large plate and pile various food on it as well as a big mug of drink.
The officer didn’t know why this person was of interest to him, he kind of looked familiar in some way. Not that they met in person before, but something in his memory, like the mech. Maybe he could get someone to do some research on the old man and his mechanical companion.
Soon Pine had went inside to dine with the other officers, and the old man mercenary was soon forgotten.

It was a week later that Colonel Pine was part of the group to watch their rear guard and he was among several other officers when they heard the loud boom in the distance. It was followed by several more distant explosions and Pine was thinking what could make that type of explosion as he knew many weapons and the noises associated by them.
“Sergeant, find out what is causing that loud noise,” Pine told the nearest noncom who immediately obeyed and left.
An hour later the sergeant returned and stated to the officer, “It is from one of the mercenaries, sir. The beat up walker with the rifle. And, sir, that blast had wiped a regiment of the enemy with each shot. I have never seen anything like it. That one man had just saved us many lives, and much time. He had won us this war.”
Pine just stared at the noncom for many long moments and then said, “Please find out who that old man is and what is the name of his mech.”
“Yes, sir.”
Later, the officer had his people with him as he walked the battle field, but the fight wasn’t over as there were pockets of resistance. And
Pine was drawn to men screaming in pain and he looked to see the old man in hand to hand combat against six individuals in battle armor, and he was holding his own.
And as he watched, there was a pause in the fighting as both man and enemy took time to get their breath and as he watched, the Old Man took the cross off his neck and and held it in his right hand and stood still.
Then the pirates advanced and with a huge sigh, the cross had a long blade of blue flaming energy come out and he was among them in a split second. They stood no chance and it cut easily through their armor, and the flesh inside.
It was over in less than a minute and the Old Man stood looking for more to kill. There were none close to him. And the long blue blade disappeared and after being wiped clean of the blood and gore was it replaced on the chain around his neck.
They watched as he picked up his rifle and inspect it for damage before walking over to his dented shield and putting it on his back. And that was when he noticed his audience.
Pine was stone faced as he stood staring at this one man who won them this battle, as well as this war. He approached the warrior and he just stood still watching them approach until the colonel was only a few feet away from the Old Man and they stood looking into each other’s eyes.
“So you are him,” Pine said to him and looked over at the damaged mech not far away with the huge rifle still in one hand.
“Depends on who you think I am.”
“I had wondered why you had looked familiar to me and though we had never met before, I had heard, read, and seen vids of an ancestor of mine,” Pine said. “You had gone by many names, Jeff Pine, and the most famous name was Weata, the Blue Phantom of the Phantom Warriors. User of the Spectral Sword.”
The Old Man smiled and said, “Yes, that is me.”
“And after all of this time. Ranger is still operational. Amazing!”
“Well, he has seen better days and he will need some major repairs after today.”
“Then allow me to have him repaired. It is the least I can do for what you have done today. And for meeting my fourth great grandfather.”
“Add a months worth of supplies and someplace warm to sleep then you have a deal.”
“Gladly!” Pine said as the two shook hands.
Once clean up of the field was complete, the two Pine men sat together for many days while Ranger was being repaired. Much history and stories exchanged between them.
And then, it was time for the Old Man to leave and just before he boarded an almost new Ranger, Mack Pine asked, “And what of Traci?”
“She is on board on the Phantom Cruiser. She loves the old ship and she will be here soon to pick me up. And like me, her and the ship has seen better days.”
“Then stay with us. We can repair her too, or anything else you might want.”
The man once known as Weata shook his head and said, “No, we have places to go and not be bothered by all the rules and regulations of the military.”
“That I understand,” Pine sighed. “Then may you have a long life and safe travels.”
The Old Man laughed as he looked down at his old body and climbed aboard his mechanical companion and within minutes was Ranger walking down the well worn roads ahead of him.


© Copyright 2023 BluePhantom (bluephantom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302992-The-Old-Man