*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303172-The-Backrooms-beginning-and-the-pools
Rated: GC · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #2303172
Can Brenda escape the Backrooms and the Pools?
It had been a foolish idea, but Brenda couldn’t help but investigate the strange glow emanating from the deserted building. She slowly approached the glowing door, and with an almost physical force, her curiosity propelled her forward. Brenda reached out to grab the handle and then the world around her seemed to spin as if it were a vortex.

When she opened her eyes again, Brenda gasped. She had expected something strange, but this was absurd. Gazing around the room she was standing in, something nagged at her memory, and after a few seconds the recognition set in. Brenda couldn’t believe it - she was standing in a room from the fantasy website she frequented, the Backrooms.

It was like something out of a dream - and in a way, that’s exactly what this was. The article she had read had described the Backrooms as an infinite and ever-changing maze that could transport visitors into strange new realms.

Now Brenda had no choice but to try and find her way out. She shuddered at the thought – with no knowledge of the layout or inhabitant of the rooms, this could become a hazardous mission. Taking a deep breath, Brenda set off, determined to find a way back home.

Anything is possible, even the unimaginable.

As Brenda opened one of the infinite rooms, her heart raced as she saw what lies beyond. The room contained a maze-like structure, with white walls, and it was filled with water, enough so that she could walk on it. She had heard of a place like this, and her stomach churned with dread. This was the Pools - a place where the unimaginable was said to lurk.

Brenda ventured forth cautiously, her anxieties growing with every passing moment. She was not prepared for the sight that met her eyes as she continued - huge, pale figures were moving through the water, their bulbous eyes scanning the area. Brenda realized with horror that they were creatures known as Abyssal- once close companions to humanity, they are now barely recognizable, as human contact had all but vanished.

Suddenly she heard a voice booming from somewhere in the darkness, ringing out in a language she did not understand. Startled, Brenda froze in terror, and within moments the voice had gone. Fear overwhelmed Brenda and she felt herself drowning in it - she wanted nothing more than to flee the Pools.

After an indeterminable amount of time, she eventually mustered the courage to move, but she found that her exit was blocked. There appeared to be a force-field blocking the way, and no matter how hard she pushed, she could not pass. Desperate, she frantically searched for another way out, but her efforts were in vain. It seemed she was trapped in the Pools, and would never be the same.

From that day on, Brenda feared the Pools and whatever dark creatures called it home. She would never forget the whispers, the figures, and the desperation that the environment spawned. All she could do now was wait, and hope that one day she would be free.

(At this point Brenda was trapped in the pools, knowing she might get turned into one of those horrors. I know this was short but more shorts to come.) *Infinity*
© Copyright 2023 Stealth (stealthbandit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303172-The-Backrooms-beginning-and-the-pools