*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303416-War-of-the-donkey
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #2303416
My shot at an impactful flash fiction piece.
The soldiers walked the remaining six police officers down the rubble-laden street. The officer at the front of the line spoke to a soldier. "You lied to us." The soldier replied, "we didn't have a choice." Somewhere in the line, one of them wept. Smoke hung in the air like an early morning fog.

They led the officers down an alleyway between two buildings, lucky enough to remain unscathed. "Face the wall”, one soldier demanded. Three broke rank to assist non-compliant officers. The others turned without a fight. There was no hope left in them. Behind the officers stood six more soldiers, rifle butts planted firmly against their shoulders.

Six shots rang out in unison. A trail of crimson crept past piles of garbage into a sewer drain.

Across the urban landscape, a mother cradled her son amidst the decaying remnants of their home. A military transport vehicle patrolled outside. A voice echoed through a bullhorn. "To all citizens willing to embrace the transition, we have a safe place for you. Food, shelter, medicine. Come forth and leave this misery". The boy looked up at her. "Mom, why can't we go to the safe place?"

"Because there isn't one, son. And there never was."

A woman's muffled cries rang in the distance. Rifle fire cracked, silencing her.
© Copyright 2023 Eight-7 (eight-7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303416-War-of-the-donkey