*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303690-Forest-Interlude
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2303690
A story I wrote while listening to the song of the same name from Donkey Kong Country 2
         I awoke…………in a vast, deep jungle. Enriched in a plethora of foliage that surrounded me………protecting me from all intruders. I was inside of a hut. An almost man made shelter that has been abandoned. There was nothing inside, but the bed of leaves I was resting on, the floor made of bamboo & wood, & a makeshift window that showed the beauty of the jungle. So many peaks, valleys, & areas of enrichment that beckoned me to explore………….so, I gathered a walking stick, the small pouch of fruits that were conveniently placed there, & a small leopard wrap for my body, & began to head out.
         Once outside, I was immediately greeted by a grass snake slithering across my path. It stopped in front of me, raising its head & sticking its tongue out in increment patterns in order to get my scent. It was as if the snake was warning me about the dangers that awaited me in this jungle. It then slithered near another stick that was sharpened at the end, with a message stuck to a tree: “Enjoy your journey. Here’s some protection. Meet me at the highest waterfall here in the jungle. It’ll take you about 4 hours to reach it. Be vigilant. I’ve left clues & items to help you along the way. It’ll jog your memory. I’ll be waiting, Love. - A” I grabbed the weapon, leaving the original walking stick leaned against the tree, & began my journey, wondering who this mysterious “A” could be?
         I walked a natural dirt path. The palm trees wrapped over the path, blocking the hot sun as I continued in the direction where I could hear running water. To my left, I noticed small monkeys swinging from tree to tree, using the vines to traverse throughout the jungle. They all seemed to be so graceful in their acrobatics, not missing a single step. To my right, the path ran down to a river bank that flowed 180 degrees of my walking path. The water was so fresh……..so clear, that I could see the various fish & insects that inhabited the bank. So many piranhas, catfish, & eels that flowed peacefully in the river’s current. The animals in the world seem to not worry about a single thing, only living off of instinct & impulse, as The Most High intended for their existence.
         I suddenly heard a growl, with rustling coming from the bushes behind me to the left. I immediately stopped in my tracks, turning in that direction with my weapon raised. I saw bright yellow glowing eyes that had the look of an apex predator. ‘A jaguar!’ I immediately thought to myself. I slowly started easing back as the jaguar inched out of its bushy enclosure, creeping towards me, knowing that the moment it would pounce, we would be at war with one another. I stopped my right foot on the ground, assuming a battle position. My heart was racing, muscles tensing. This jaguar was huge. A tan leopard with black spots that symmetrically ran across its body. His fangs were sharp as he growled & wrinkled his face. Ears flattened. It had a look of hunger & vengeance in its eyes. I was afraid of this Jaguar, but I had the courage to not back down.
         That’s when a Tiger jumped from behind me & started to attack the Jaguar. The Tiger, being bigger than the leopard, wrestled with the Jaguar. Bites & scratches were exchanged, & the Jaguar sustained an almost fatal injury when the Tiger bit him in the jugular, barely missing a vital artery. The Jaguar ran off in fear & defeat. I relaxed myself, still tense about the Tiger potentially attacking me, but knowing I’d have the upper hand if it did, with the scratches it sustained. After licking its wounds, the Tiger turned to me, slowly coming towards me, purring. It started to rub itself against me, as if it recognized me as a friend. I started to pet the Tiger, as if I knew the Tiger from somewhere. “It’s like my memories are trying to come back, but it won’t complete the entire memory.” I said to myself. My head was in pain from all of this confusion. Never the less, I wanted to press on. As I started to walk away, the Tiger nudged my back. It stepped in front of me, lowering its body & was almost telling me to get on its back. So, I did.
         The Tiger led me to another hut on a higher valley. It was bigger, & a lot nicer than the one I woke up in. The beds were made of soft leaves & hardened mud. There was more fruits sat in a wooden bowl that only seemed a few hours after harvest. I noticed a note on the back wall of the hut. It read, “I see you’ve met our pet Tiger, Sunstar. Great job getting to this next spot. I knew you’d survive. Look out the window, you’ll see the water fall miles away. By now, it’ll only take you 2 more hours to reach it.” I paused my reading to take a look out the window. The mysterious person was right. I saw a beautiful rain forest waterfall. The clear water falling freely down into the deep valley river of the jungle below. So many birds flew freely over the jungle, with the clouds very thin in the sky as the sun blessed the entire world with light. I was so close to my destination. I continued to read the note: “Take a few minutes to rest. I left some game for Sunstar. Make sure to feed him. He’ll be vital on your journey. & love……….do be careful. It’s only going to get more dangerous from here on. - A” I took a deep breath. I have to see this through to the end.
         The sun was starting to set. I looked up, seeing an orange hue that enwrapped the entire jungle as the sun was lowering in the west. Sunstar was moaning, as he was eager to continue our journey as much as I was. I gathered some more rations in my side pouch, sharpened my wooden spike stick, & gave Sunstar some food & water to prepare for our long journey: The journey north to the highest waterfall in the entire jungle. I set out walking, with Sunstar on my right side. This portion of the jungle was rotting. There was barely any vegetation along the path. So many trees, plants, & bushes that were depleted of leaves. It was as if some poison came through & took the life away from the natural world order of this jungle’s area. That’s when I saw a mother load of poisonous spiders that were scattered along the path. Each branch & area that was in front of our path that led to the waterfall was encased with webs, & spiders of all various colors. I knew all of them would be the death of me & Sunstar if we were to get bit by one of them.
         Thinking quickly, I saw one giant leaf that was almost seemingly sticking out from one of the trees to the far right of the barren area we found ourselves in. I picked it, & used it as both an extension of my arm, & as a shield to remove the spiders & webs from our path. Sunstar stayed behind me, as if instinctively knowing to wait until I cleared the branches & area of webs & spiders before continuing onward behind me.
         Once we finally left that area, we had an even bigger problem: A lake that surrounded the waterfall. It was about 30 yards wide. Though I could see the entrance for the path up the waterfall from where I stood. Sunstar nudged me, as if saying this was the time where we parted ways. I smiled, scratching his chin. “Thank you for protecting me along this path.” He seemed to smile back at me. “I’ll be back to the original hut once I finish this journey.” With that warm goodbye to one another, he went off to a part of the jungle I’ve yet to discover. I began to analyze the water, noticing the small sharks & piranhas that treaded the waters. Swimming was not an option for me. I looked around, noticing a fallen tree. I walked over to feel the wood. A perfect texture & solid enough to make a boat that I can use to float across the predator fish infested waters. I went to work, pulling apart pieces of the of the wood one by one in large chunks. The hut that I reseted in with Sunset had a sharp blade with a vine wrapped grip handle that I was able to use to carve each piece of the wood into the parts I needed for the boat. I grabbed some vines that I could use to tie the boat pieces together. That's when I started to feel raindrops. I looked up ahead to see a tropical storm coming. 'I have to hurry before I get caught in the eye of it.' I thought to myself. I kept building, using all of the elements that the earth gave me: Trees, grass, vines, bushes, wood, sticks, & leaves. After about an hour of building, my boat was ready to go. I even made a paddle that I could use for myself to steer the boat to where I needed to go.
         I pushed my boat into the water & hopped in. I began to steer my boat in the direction of the entrance. The currents fighting & trying to push me into the deeper parts of the water. The storm was fighting me; trying to defy my goal of reaching the ominous entrance of that waterfall. I stroked even harder, the rain starting to come down even harder as my boat began to break apart. I was getting so close to the entrance. That's when I felt a sharp pain on my right ankle. I looked down to see one of the piranhas have jumped into my boat & bit me. I stabbed it with my blade to release its pressure, throwing it back into the river. As it floated above the riverbed, blood coating the water, I saw several piranhas & mini sharks come up to devour one of its own. It truly was survival of the fittest in the world of the jungle. I looked ahead to see I was at my destination, though my boat was in ruins, as it was rapidly sinking at the shoreline. I looked back to see more piranhas steadily approaching my sinking boat, & I leaped out of the boat with only my spear & knife. Once I landed on the shoreline, I looked at the entrance to the waterfall. It was a steep incline to the top. About 150 feet high. The storm had finally made its way to the very center of the waterfall. The rain was pouring so fast from the wind, it was almost cutting my skin. I could barely open my eyes with how hard it was raining, but I knew this was the final test before I reached my goal: seeing whoever this mysterious "A" was that started me on this journey.
         As I began to climb, I had so many questions running through my mind: Who was this person? Where do I know them from? Why am I here? What led me to being stuck in this jungle in the first place? Why does all this seem so familiar, yet so foreign at the same time? All of these questions kept me warm as the cold wind & water from the tropical storm did its best to penetrate my nervous system & make me go into shock. My inner beast & volition refused to quit as I climbed the steep steps. I looked around to barely see the monkeys in this rain forest retreating to higher ground faster than I could, as it seemed like there was more shelter that lay at the top of this waterfall. The dirt up under my feet on this climb to the top was starting to get muddy, & I could feel myself slipping as I was taking another step forward one by one, so I used the spear to strike the ground, making a handle I could use as a support beam as I continued the climb. I started to see the beginning of the current of the waterfall as I neared the very top of the waterfall. The skies were dark gray; lightning started to strike parts of the trees near me. I had to continue towards the top. I could see glimpses of a shelter where all the other animals started to retreat to, so, throwing my spear, I decided to make a run towards it, not realizing that there was the start of the water fall that separated the two. I fell into, slowly going towards the fall of the waterfall.
         There I was: My spear gone, my strength depleted, & death slowly pushing me towards it. I tried my hardest to swim against the current, but there was no use...........I was done...........that's when a hand grabbed me & started to pull me towards the shore. The mysterious figure carried me to the shelter where all the peaceful animals of the jungles resided. Looking up, very weak, I saw the figure was a very feminine, yet strong woman. "You.............you're..........A.........." I said as I began to pass out from exhaustion. I could feel the figure's warm smile. "Save your strength, love. You did an amazing job."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         I woke up to the sun beaming on my face. I could feel a warm, furry presence next to me. I looked over & saw it was Sunstar. He seemed relieved that I was alive after the experience that I endured. I sat up, my head aching from such a rough time.

"Good........you're awake." A soft, sweet voice said to me.

         I looked over to see the most beautiful dark skinned woman ever to exist in the world. She was muscular & tall. Here entire body was cut & athletic, as if she roamed the jungle & worked out in it everyday. Here face was smooth & clear, with the most beautiful plump lips I had the pleasure of hearing words come out of. Her eyes were golden brown, as if the most high gave her eyes that could bring happiness to anyone she looked at. Her chest was small, & her abs were so toned. Her legs were thick with muscle, yet so curvy with its own expression. Her hair was cut short, with the side being very low as the longer hair was curved to the left. A brunette & black texture. Everything about this woman was perfect. I was so enamored with her beauty, that I didn't realize she was talking until she came up to me & placed her hand on my cheek. It was so soft & caring.

"Do you recognize me yet, baby?" She asked me, concerned.

I started at her blankly, "You're 'A'. The person who told me to come find you." I answered, slightly confused.

She sighed in worry, "Yes, but do you KNOW me?" She sat down next to me. "You HAVE to remember me. I'm not a stranger." She almost shed a tear with the sadness that echoed in her voice.

My head started to pound, & I closed my eyes in pain. A name started to come to me: Angel. "........Angel........your..........your name is Angel........" I told her.

She smiled with joy, "Yes! Yes, that's right!" She clapped with excitement. "You know who Sunstar is?" Sunstar looked over at us as he continued to lay near our feet.

"Sunstar.........I knew him........since he was a cub." I recognized my own pet.

Angel laughed in joy, "Yes! & finally: do you know who YOU are?" She asked me in all seriousness.

I thought hard, not knowing. Angel looked at me, "Maybe this will help you, sweetheart." She leaned in & gave me the sweetest, softest, most sincere kiss that a man could ever receive from a woman.

That's when all the memories started to hit me like a truck:

I'm the king of this whole jungle.

         I fell off of this exact waterfall in the rainforest & landed head first at the bottom of the waterfall river. It's a miracle I didn't die from the impact, let alone get eaten by the fishes inside the river. All of the animals, with a few exceptions, know me & respect me as the apex predator of this jungle, with my wife: Angel, being the next in line. I was in a coma for 2 weeks, & the storms of the jungle caused us all to push back to the outer regions of the jungle, where we were building territory to ensure we had places of interest in ALL parts of it. My wife, Angel had to return to the waterfall to protect all the animals that resided up there, & to ensure our home was safe from any other predators that may have come that way.

         I explained all of this to her. She nodded, "Yes, this is all true, sweetie." She expressed. "I knew you'd awake, & your instincts would help lead you back to me. Granted, with a little bit of help from your family." She gestured to all of the animals that surrounded us, including herself. She hugged me close, "I'm just glad that you're back to your normal self, & that we can finally be together in harmony again." I embraced her back,
"Me too, baby girl...............I just need to make sure I build a safety ladder & get down for that water fall so I don't fall agin." We both laughed.

         Angel grabbed my hand, "Come, lets watch the sunrise. The storm has just stopped." We both walked out to the edge of the waterfall & sat. All of the other animals joining us. The sun started to give light to all parts of the jungle; I looked on proudly, glad to know that I led such a peaceful, fruitful area of life.

- Maãlík
© Copyright 2023 Maãlík (loneplayboy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303690-Forest-Interlude