*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303720-The-Ring
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2303720
A magical ring and it's powers
February 1998

Kellie O"Toole found herself exhausted, a thin layer of sweat coating her brow. The 28 year old lawyer had heard how difficult labor was, she just didn't believe it until she experienced it herself.

"Congratulations it's a girl!"

Wearily lifting her head, Kellie smiled as she gazed into the dark chocolate eyes of her daughter. "Katie," she sighed. As the nurse placed the infant on her chest, Kellie sighed as she thought of everything that had happened to lead her to this moment.

Intelligent but never very confident, Kellie O'Toole was the eldest daughter of Charles and Marilyn O'Toole. While Kellies father was a quiet and caring man when it came to her mother, Marilyn, things were very different.

Marilyn to put it mildly was an intimidating factor in each of her daughters lives. Never one to shy away from an argument, the woman was stubborn and opinionated especially when it came to her three daughters. Whether it was keeping Kellies 19 year old sister Lisa in line or convincing Ann, Kellies 22 year old sister, to pursue business instead of art, she often times got her way in how her daughters grew and developed. It had always been this way, Marilyn was the one who disciplined the girls growing up, Marilyn was the one they asked permission from, and Marilyn was the one none of the girls wished anger.

Kellie, though, had begun rebelling against her mother in a way. It started when she came out to her parents as bisexual. They didn't quite understand why but Marilyn asked her daughter if she could just change. They didn't understand, which led to arguments between mother and daughter. It only escalated after Kellie got pregnant. Kellie wouldn't say who the father was and for Marilyn, the idea of her grandchild being born out of wedlock was inconceivable. She didn't think Kellie would be able to care for the child on her own and wanted her to move back into their home. Kellie of course immediately shot down that proposal. To do that would mean quitting her job, moving across the state and once more being under the thumb of her mother's rules. She'd rather take her chances alone.

"So will you let me hold her already?"

Kellie glanced up, furrowing her brow as she glared at Katie's father, Jack Martin. Jack was a successful lawyer within the firm they worked, he was also 15 years her senior and married. "I thought you said you couldn't let anyone know about this," Kellie grumbled. Jack frowned as Kellie studied him carefully. Their relationship was combustible to say the least, the pair filled with passion for one another yet unable to go long without arguing. Although Kellie had a preference for women, there was no denying Jack Martin's attractiveness. At 43 he was still in tremendous shape with a slight athletic build, his neatly combed dirty blonde hair a bit dull with some faint grey. Even the small amount of wrinkles around his eyes didn't take away from his attractiveness. It was his personality that soiled Kellies opinion though.

Jack was arrogant, rude, and unwilling to take responsibility for his actions. Couple that with a wife he was constantly cheating on and Kellie found herself feeling foolish for ever believing he could change. Still in the end he had given her something she hadn't known was so precious until she laid eyes on her. "Katie is mine Jack," she said softly. "You already told me you're not getting a divorce so why are you even here."

"Look whether you like it or not she's my daughter," Jack exclaimed. "My only child as well. I have no problem paying for things but I need you to keep this quiet. If Linda finds out she'll take me for everything I'm worth. Just sign this non disclosure agreement and I'll make sure you and Katie are well taken care of. I'll even make sure you get that promotion you've been looking for."

"You are such an asshole Jack," Kellie spat.

"I maybe an asshole Kellie but I'm still that girls father," Jack growled, his eyes narrowing as he glared at Kellie. As he continued on a tangent, making idol threats to which Kellie knew he would never make good on, she glanced down at the ring on her finger. As repugnant as Jack could be, Kellie did fear what he could do. Jack had wealth, connections, things she did not. What if he tried to take Katie from her? What if he made good on his threats? Claim that she was an unfit mother, that Katie would be better off with him instead of her. Fear for the child she was only laying eyes on for the first time was washing over her like ice water. She couldn't let that happen and somehow she knew this ring could help.

She wasn't sure how, she had found it in the parking lot a few months back as she was leaving work. It didn't appear special or even valuable. Just an old gold ring that probably wouldn't fetch $50 at a pawn shop. Still, something about it attracted Kellie to it. Staring at it she now began to wonder the most odd things. What if this simple ring could make everything better? As Jack now furrowed his brow in anger, Kellie shot back with a statement that would change the fabric of all their lives.

"Jack I wish you were never born!"


A flash of light now illuminated the room, Jack and Kellie pausing, disoriented by the display. "What the hell was that," Jack exclaimed. Kellie had no answer, confused for a moment before turning to Jack. What she saw made her gasp, her eyes going wide in astonishment.

Jack was still Jack, but he was changing rapidly. It was hard to describe, Kellie feeling as if she was watching a time lapse video in reverse. It started simply enough, his hair regaining its luster, the grey gradually fading, as his skin began to look healthier. In moments he had gone from a stern looking 43 to a fresh faced professional around Kellies age. Jack pausing he he gazed at his hands in wonder. "What's...what's happening to me!"

Kellie had no answer, to stunned to speak as Jack continued his reverse life. Quickly Jack sped through his twenties, Kellie noting the handsome man's face begin to round, his hair a bit unkempt. Grasping the waist of his slacks, the now college aged Jack gaped at Kellie in wide eyed astonishment. "Kellie what's happening to me," he exclaimed, his voice sounding more youthful. "Did you do this to me!?" Honestly Kellie wasn't sure, maybe she had but this was impossible. People didn't age backwards, especially this quickly.

College now became something to look forward to as the teenage Jack retreated into high school. Maturity was being wiped away from the boy, his face smooth, his body becoming leaner by the second. Soone enough he had backtracked through high school, Kellie noting he had gone from the handsome prom king to a gangly teenage boy taking his first steps into high school. As Jack now protested, hurling accusations at Kellie she could hear his voice gradually shift in octave as puberty reversed itself.

Reentering grade school, Jack was in hysterics. Maturity and inches melting off the preteen as he traveled further back in years. It was odd for Kellie to watch, her former flame melting like a candle inside his business suit. Soon a cute, round face child with wild dirty blonde hair gazed up at Kellie. Jack looking as if he was starting his first day of kindergarten, the collar of his adult shirt gaping around a skinny neck as he was swamped in a puddle of his adult clothing.

Jack's angry protests now turned to tears, the 5 year old boy racing into toddlerhood. All anger seemed to wash away from Kellie as she gazed at the child. Jack's face continued to round, his hair growing thinner as he raced towards infancy. Soon the boy became too young to stand, plopping onto his rear inside his tent like suit. That was quickly followed by losing the ability to talk, infantile babble racing to Kelliea ears. When would this stop? How young would Jack become?

Kellie got her answer as the crying ceased. Fearfully she now gazed at Jack's empty suit laying crumpled on the ground. If she didn't know better, she would swear someone had simply thrown their laundry on the floor. Kellie, though, did know better. Somehow Jack no longer existed.

"Kellie O'Toole!"

Kellie jumped, her head turning quickly as she now found herself searching for the voice. Only moments before it had been only herself, Jack, and Katie in the room. Now she could see another. An elderly man draped in a silver robe with a long white beard. "Who...who are you," she asked.

"Merlin," he stated.

Kellie balked. Merlin? The actual magician of legend standing in her hospital suite? That seems impossible, Merlin was a thing of legend, a story told throughout the ages that children dreamed about. "Yes I am that Merlin," he stated. "I know that's what you were thinking, everyone does."

"Okay," Kellie said slowly. "But why are you here?"

A sad smile now crossed the elderly wizards face as he approached, glancing down at the sleeping infant in Kellies arms. "Unfortunately Kellie you've created a bit of a problem with that ring you found." Kellie glanced down at the old ring in her hand. "Wait are you telling me this thing is magic?"

"Yes and quite powerful" Merlin replied. "I take it you were not aware of this?" Kellie shook her head no, Merlin sighing as he looked between Kellie and the pile of clothes owned by Jack. "I was afraid of that," he sighed. "You see the ring is magical and for the uninitiated acts as a type of wishing ring. Their are rules though of course, one of which is wishing someone out of existence as you have just done."

"I....I didn't know," Kellie whispered. "I'm sorry."

"I know," Merlin said sadly. "But, the wish has consequences, especially since this wish would affect not just one life but two." Kellie now glanced down at Katie, her eyes going wide as she slowly began to piece things together. If Jack had never been born, then neither would Katie. "No, no you can't take her," she exclaimed. "Please, please take me instead. I'm sorry I didn't mean for this to happen."

"Are you sure," Merlin asked. "You do realize that I've come to save Jack from his fate and take Katie away to be raised as my own."

"What if I went instead of her," Kellie said quickly. "Spare Katie and take me instead. Just don't hurt her." Merlin paused, looking between mother and daughter. His original plan was to have Jack growup all over again and take Katie as his adopted daughter. If Kellie was willing to take her daughters place then he would leave the infant with her family. "So be it," he stated. "Your daughter shall remain with your family. You and the girls father though shall have to atone for this indiscretion." Kellie nodded, curious as to what was going to happen as an odd feeling now crept over her. "What's happening I feel...weird?"

Kellie glanced down at her hands, her eyes going wide as she realized what was happening. Like Jack, she was now reliving her life in reverse, her body ageing backwards at an incredible rate. Already she could see her maternity gown growing looser around her thinning body.

"Like the man before you you too shall relive your life from the beginning," Merlin stated as Kellie became a teenager once more. "You shall grow, learn, and become my apprentice."

"And Katie," Kellie asked, her voice rising an octave as she descended further into her teens. "She shall live as any other human," Merlin stated. "I will look out for her as she grows."

"Thank you," Kellie said softly as she retreated out of her teens. Already she could feel her mind beginning to slip, the knowledge from her time as a lawyer and college slipping away like smoke. Kellie could see her body slowly shrinking beneath the blanket, becoming smaller and more childish as she retreated in age. Still, her memories of Katie remained stronger than anything. "Can I ask one favor," she asked as she became 10 and raced for single digits.

"By all means."

"Can you have my sister Lisa be her guardian," Kellie asked, the 8 year olds voice shrill. "So be it," Merlin stated. "I have seen your history Kellie. You do not wish to have your daughter grow up under the stren gaze of your mother. I shall make it so that Lisa is her caretaker."

"Tank you," a now 4 year old Kellie lisped. The young girl smiled, her mind rapidly returning to a simpler time as years of knowledge faded away. Kellie beamed at the infant by her side, the toddler brushing her wheat colored hair from her face as she placed a gentle kiss on Katie's forehead. "I sorry Katie," the 3 year old stammered. "I love you and I hope I can see you again someday."

Merlin stood by silently, watching as Kellie descended into infancy, her face rounding as her hair grew short and wispy. As the spell completed, Merlin lifted the tiny infant Kellie up, giving the infant Katie a sad smile before vanishing.

"Mrs. O'Toole."

Marilyn and the rest of the family stood. When they arrived at the hospital they had heard that Kellie had gone into labor. Although Marilyn was still angry with her eldest, she still wanted to be there for the birth of her grandchild. They had been told the baby had been delivered successfully but, their were complications. Now they anxiously awaited news on how Kellie was doing. As the doctor now approached, Marilyn and the rest of her family was crestfallen. "No," Marilyn said softly. "No it can't be. It can't be!!"

"I'm sorry," the doctor stated.

Marilyn was inconsolable, falling into her husband's shoulders as she wept. Ann and Lisa now by their parents side as they cried openly. It seemed impossible that Kellie was gone. Wiping her eyes, a 19 year old Lisa now looked to the doctor. "How's the baby?"

"Shes fine," the doctor said. "Would you like to see her?"

Lisa paused, for some reason she wanted to see this infant more than anything. Yes, her sister who she idolized was gone but this child now existed and had no one. She felt oddly drawn to the girl, Kellies daughter needed someone and Lisa wanted nothing more than to be there for the child. "Yeah let me see her."

Following the doctor, Lisa now stood before the nursery, the doctor now bringing out a healthy infant girl with whisps of straw colored hair. "Her name is Katie," the doctor stated. "Your sister named her Katherine Michelle O'Toole before..."

Lisa simply nodded, glancing into the sleeping infants face. As insane as it sounded she felt a deep connection to Katie as if the child was her own. As she now held the infant close, Lisa failed to notice the golden ring wrapped in Katie's blanket.

© Copyright 2023 Girzon (girzon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303720-The-Ring