*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303760-Tribute-To-A-Local-Radio-Legend
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #2303760
Jim Scott is a Cincinnati, Ohio radio legend. I cherish the fact that I got to meet him.

My Prayers Are With You, Jim!


         If you were a rock ‘n roll fan in Cincinnati, Ohio, starting in the late 1960's and continuing for the next couple decades, at least, you knew that the powerhouse rock ‘n roll radio station in Cincinnati, then, was WSAI, then at 1360 on the AM radio dial.
         And you also knew, that the morning DJ at that time, beginning in 1968, was Jim Scott. Jim was the favorite DJ for many of the station’s listeners, including my late wife Linda and myself. He was always honest, down to earth, always the same, on and off the air.
         I called him at the station the morning after Linda passed away, and asked him to dedicate a song in her memory. The song I chose was the Statler Brothers’ Flowers On The Wall. It was one of Linda’s favorites because it reflected the lonely life she lived as an epileptic, until I came into her life.
         The conversation I had with Jim that morning was short, but it didn’t need to be a long one. With the way Jim Scott cares about people, and isn’t afraid to show it, there was no need for a long conversation. He asked for a couple things about Linda that would reflect the warm, caring person she was, and I gave him two examples. That was it. But shortly thereafter, when he did the dedication on the air, it was warm and heartfelt, as if he had personally known her. He mentioned that she was only 12 days from her 31st birthday, which he said was way too soon to leave us. Then he played the song I’d chosen, dedicating it to her.
         I couldn’t have asked for a better, more caring way for that dedication to be.
         A few years later, in the mid 80’s, I think, I had a chance to meet this wonderful gentleman at a promotion he was doing at the time. I could understand, first hand, the effect that polio had had on his life. I have minor problems with my left arm and leg, too. But mine are from Cerebral Palsy that I’ve had since birth. Nothing major, and I’ve never let it slow me down, just as Jim hasn’t let the effects of having polio earlier in his life slow him down.
         I saw for myself how very much Jim Scott loves, and cares about people, even those he’s never met personally.
         This past Thursday, 8/31/2023, Jim revealed on his Facebook page that he is now, at age 80, fighting ALS, better known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

         Jim, my prayers are with you and your family. Those prayers have already started, and will continue throughout your fight, hoping that a cure is found in time. Thank you for all the joy, laughter, and honest feelings you’ve shared with your countless listeners throughout your career here in Cincinnati.
© Copyright 2023 Incurable Romantic (jwilliamson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303760-Tribute-To-A-Local-Radio-Legend