*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303835-What-It-Means-to-be-Family
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Travel · #2303835
A dialogue-only spoof on a family celebration.
"Michigan?"

"Michigan."

"Why Michigan?"

"Because that's where the celebration is."

"Why can't they celebrate HERE? In Florida?"

"Because they're in Michigan. So the whole family is getting together there."

"Are we going by plane?"

"No, dear. We're taking Lola with us, and we spoke to the vet, and decided taking a dog by plane isn't a good idea."

"So ..."

"We're taking a road trip from Florida to Michigan along Route 23."

"You make that sound like it's a good thing."

"It is a good thing. Do you want to leave Lola behind?"

"I'll stay behind with her. Lola and I can look after each other while you and Dad go celebrate."

"You're too young."

"I'm also too young for the rest stop in Ohio at Aunt Dora's place, with her feeding me too much chicken and waffles."

"You like chicken and waffles."

"Not five tons of them."

"Listen, we'll be driving down the Country Music Highway! It's going to be super fun! Think of Pisgah National Forest and the beautiful sunrise in Oscoda, Michigan!"

"Florida sunrises are most beautiful. And sunsets, too."

"Hmmmm. All right, I'll tell your Uncle Richard you aren't coming. He'll be disappointed."

"He won't miss me, there'll be a crowd of my cousins for him to pat on the head."

"And there'll be enough time for him to cancel the Android Tablet."

"Android Tablet?"

"Yeah, Android Tablet. It was meant to be a surprise. He has ordered gifts for everyone to thank them for helping him and Aunt Diana celebrate their anniversary. Yours was to be an Android Tablet, and if you're not coming, it better be cancelled soon."

"LOLA, Lola! Get your bowl and leash ready, we're going on a Road Trip!"
© Copyright 2023 THANKFUL SONALI 17 WDC YEARS! (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303835-What-It-Means-to-be-Family