*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303878-The-23-Enigma
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Mystery · #2303878
A young man uses his day of special blessing to get out of a bad financial situation.
"The 23 Enigma”
By W. P. Gerace

The alarm blared away, waking Benny up out of a sound sleep. It had been one month today since he had lost his job at the local factory. Cutbacks, Rex said in that husky, obnoxious tone of his, the man’s boisterous pitch enough to give one a terrible migraine for days.

“Honey, it’s 7:30 AM. My dad will be here to pick you up in thirty minutes. Make sure you are ready. You know how he is. “His girlfriend and fiancé, Bridget, stood at the entrance to the bedroom.

Benny was highly grateful for Bridget’s dad giving him some work at his construction business. But the man was just as demanding, if not more so, than Rex. Hollering and abusive, his tactics were a lot to be desired. Sometimes, Benny wished he had some brains like his younger brother Chucky, who managed to get a full scholarship to Harvard and will be making real money soon as a Criminal Lawyer.

A loud knock disrupted Benny’s thought. Gosh, was it 30 minutes already, he wondered. Glancing at his watch in the bureau, it was just 7:40 AM. Bridget answered the door. It was Mr. Price, their greedy Landlord, saying they were nearly two weeks late with rent and he needed it tonight by 5 PM, or they would be evicted. Benny went to the edge of the bedroom door, opening it just a tad as he looked at the creep. As usual, he was dressed in one of his red satin dress coats and pants. He could not help but notice the bastard had a new pair of dark green Alligator shoes. Closing the door, he could hear Bridget’s muffled cries. Benny’s heart sank. He had to do something he needed to make more money or something.

“Benny, have you forgotten what today is? “His late Nana Fanny appeared dressed in a white gown, reminding Benny of some choir singer standing here, not his grandmother.

“No, what is it? “

“The blessing child. It is August 23, and it is your day to wish. Remember what I told you as a little boy? “

With that, his grandmother disappeared. He recalled the memory in her kitchen as she told him one of her many stories. This one was the Secret Vantucci Blessings. Every year on August 23, one family member could make a wish. You will know when it’s your time. You can wish for anything, big or small, my little cherub. He could still hear her broken English telling him, holding his tiny hands with her wrinkled, chubby ones. Shaking his head, desperate, knowing they needed anything, he made his wish just as she taught him.

“This is Benny Vantucci. It is my turn for the Vantucci Blessing. It is August 23, 2023, and I wish my girlfriend and I had a better place to live comfortably with lots of money. “

Instantaneously, with a bat of his eyes, Benny found himself somewhere else. He was no longer on Moon Drive in North Phoenix; he was in a massive room with a long gold table and hundreds of red velvet chairs. At one end he sat and on the other was Bridget, but she was gorgeous. Her long, silky hair went down in curls to the tips of her shoulders. Dangling across her chest was a resplendent gold necklace with a purple charm. The lights coming from it were so brilliant it was like looking at a magnificent light show.

“Honey, where are we? You look stunning, babe. “Benny replied.

“Sweetness, your blessings worked. As you told me years ago, try it is still August 23. Try it before the day is over. Anything you wish for, see for yourself. “Bridget smiled.

“OK, I wish that today would stay this way forever. We would remain stuck on August 23 and continue to live this good life. I also want this blessing to be authentic, and this is not some crazy joke. Let it start raining money. “

As if his words had some connection with the heavens above, suddenly, a torrent of hundred-dollar bills and gold coins flew everywhere. The coins were giant, but he could tell they were real. The red carpet was covered entirely with money.

“I wish Mr. Price had to serve us, make our food, and take care of us. “Benny laughed.

Magically, Price appeared in a black and white butler uniform, holding a silver tray with Hors d’oeuvres. Benny’s favorite was on the menu: fresh shrimp, clams, and fried oysters. In tiny little silver containers was a neat amount of red tartar sauce. Nana Fanny must have been telling the truth those final years before she left us, Benny thought.

“I wish my Nana Fanny to return from the dead and live with us forever. “

Right next to Benny, Nana, Fanny appeared in a cloud of white smoke, dressed in a plum evening gown, and wearing her diamond necklace. Her blue eyes sparkled in the brilliant dining room light. Her tan skin retained its robust glow as if she were never sick. Benny had the best of both worlds: his Nana, who raised him and his future love.

“Nana, I am so glad you could be with us. I honestly thought the family blessing was a joke. I am now living so much better. Thank you for telling me never to give up hope. “

“Sure, sweety. Since it is your turn for the blessing, can you wish something for me? “

“Sure, Nana, anything you want. “

“I want to be young and gorgeous again and be attractive to men. “

“Consider it done, Nana. I wish for my Nana to look like she did when she met Grandpa Ted. “

Moments later, Nana appeared in her new young body.

“I like this magical gift. “Benny smiled, raising his glass.
© Copyright 2023 W.P. Gerace (phoenixdude71 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303878-The-23-Enigma