*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304010-The-Anger-Subsides
by Hadair
Rated: E · Fiction · Erotica · #2304010
After a long day out it was high time for a rest with your boyfriend.
(originally written 2022, has since been re-written and incorporated into my novel, Turnabout Teardown).

Photo: https://www.deviantart.com/odaocer/art/By-the-Fireside-925938280

Now Playing...

Artist: Keith Mansfield

Song: Love Without Words

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gw-ZrvcbPY


It was late at night, the full moon on display above the clouds.

Cold outside was, that time in spring when the heat just begins to come in the day, while the nights stood frozen still.

It was the perfect weather to hide in a house and hibernate in. The ground had not yet thawed yet.

In the den the light was dim. Only lit by the fireplace in the middle and the shine of the full moon through the windows.

As two flames danced in the fire you sat upon the couch staring at them, content in where you were.

All was not quiet as the sound of the embers filled the room with light cackling calmly. There was another sound though, the light snoring of the person sleeping atop you, sprawled over the rest of the sofa.

There were three of you at first. You, your partner and a mutual friend, Agoti. The latter had excused himself earlier, sensing that you two were going to have a moment.

It was now just you and your partner, Tabi. Sometimes called "Goatboy" by you playfully. You insisted it had nothing to do with the two horns upon his head. "It means 'greatest of all time'"! You had said. It was a boldfaced lie but he grew to accept it regardless.

Today had been a good day.

Once upon a time you'd never heard of the guy. Course you saw the explosions and his 'handiwork', though at the time you knew not the perpetrator.

In his 'past life' as you referred to it, he was some superstar rapper. You'd never really listened to the stuff so you hadn't heard of him. Then some incident occurred and, well you tried not to speak too much of his past. It just pissed him off.

You had only met him by chance, a friend of a friend of a friend. And you clicked with him. It was a bit rocky at first, as he was always distant, seemingly uninterested in friendships.

He was more interested in working relationships, ones that would help take down some 'twisted family' as he referred to it. You weren't interested in the details, he had been wronged once and it ruined him. That's how you knew them.

When you managed to convince him to date he got angry, figuring this was some bit you were doing.

"Did that girl put you up to this?"

"You’re just trying to use me! Don't lie to me! I'll gut you!"

"Did Agoti put you up to this? That traitorous swine!"

Those were just some of the things he had claimed at first. When he realized those weren't the reasons he still tried to dodge it.

He complained you were doing it to make fun of his 'partial invisibility' and that he was a 'freak', something you barely noticed when you hung out. It's not like his neck and stuff weren't there. He was still a regular guy.

It's not like there were many 'normal' people in this town anyways. This town was far from normal in between one of the most popular musicians being a walking bomb (though as you thought of it he had outright vanished), and a kid rapper with blue hair, definitely not normal. At the time you mentioned that it was impossible you were making fun of appearance. "Look at Agoti! Here's the exact opposite of normal!" You said to him.

He accepted the date, still very sceptical of your intentions. But when he finally figured out you were genuine, boy did his entire persona change.

He was a very clingy at first, constantly wanting to be at your side at all times. He was like a lost puppy. You confronted him about it once just plainly said "I don't want you to backstab me like that cheating, lying-" And you had to cut him off, knowing exactly where that rant was going.

As time went on he started to back off, confident that you weren't going to double-cross him. That's when he started being aggressive. Anyone that thought about hitting on you was a goner. He made sure everyone knew you were with him and that you were protected. You were sure he would've defended your honour to the death.

Through conversation and a lot of teasing you had made his mostly forget about his 'old life'. Today had been the final pieces you had him leave behind.

To his surprise you and Agoti had taken him shopping for some new clothes. Though he was apprehensive at first he relented upon you pointing out the fact his current outfit was in terrible shape, holes, scrapes and tears abound. Such was a side effect of sleeping in parks, hiding out in dingy places.

Of course, he had purchased the exact same blue hoodie, jeans, gloves and shoes. He decided to keep the hat, though you forced him to allow you to at least wash it.

After the shopping you simply insisted he stay the night, again mentioning that he needed to at least wash his old clothes.

Tabi had brought a few items from his 'encampment'. His trademarked military knife and a few guns. He had been clutching it, like one would a teddy bear but as sleep claimed him, he dropped it. You weren't sure of the legality of those weapons but the fact he trusted you to keep them safe made you feel good inside.

And that is where you were now.

You were sitting on the sofa normally, by an armrest, while Tabi had decided to lie down over the whole thing. His head was resting in your lap. He had previously been staring up at you, unspeaking before nodding off.

As indicative of the light snoring he was completely out, engaged in a deep rest. He had been staring at your eyes before he dozed off. He was so content in his sleep that he didn't even notice his hat fall off, revealing his boney head.

It was one of the few displays of happiness he had shown in the past few weeks you'd known him.

He always had that cool, calm, collected and emotionally distant persona but you'd made him crack a few times. Make him show some kind of emotion other than stoicism and anger.

You guessed that after all he'd been through, this was one of the first times he felt truly safe. There were no policemen, no rabid animals, nothing to interrupt his sleep tonight. Well except Agoti playing a prank, but you were confident that wouldn't happen.

Your only worry was that he would start dreaming of that girlfriend and her father again. Every once in a while he would dream of his 'past life' and it would turn into a nightmare. There were more than a few times where he would call you in the dead of the night just to make sure he wasn't dreaming. Something just to confirm your existence. Though he never admitted it you knew that was the exact reason.

You'd console him. As you hung out with him more, it started to happen less.

You were sure it wasn't going to happen tonight. But if his mind did start playing tricks on him you were close by to stop it.

You give his head some scritches, lightly rubbing it and playing with his horns. He seems to like it and leans into your touch, a smile growing on his face. If he could see himself now he would have been embarrassed, chastising you for doing it to him.

He snored soundly, arm wrapped around your back and other arm off the couch. He never let go of his knife but this time he did. He was really asleep. You clutch him a bit tightly, just to remind him you were there.

You hear rummaging in the room next to you. Agoti was peering by the door, trying to catch of glimpse that you two had clicked. He was overjoyed someone had managed to tame Tabi. Much as he liked the guy, Tabi was a hothead at best, loner at worst.

He didn't even believe at first Tabi managed to click with someone else, let alone in that way. Then, when he found out it was you, he was only more surprised. He thought on it and then finally said, "yeah, it makes sense you two would go for each other." At the time you didn't know what he meant but you understood now.

With how late it was you were starting to drift off as well. While it was comfy this was not the best way to sleep.

You give a nod to Agoti and pick up Tabi, careful not to wake him. Agoti smirks back, giving you thumbs up.

It was time to find a more comfortable place to sleep the night away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slightly inspired by the unfinished novel The Empty Side of Anger by MintyGreenAmateurAuthor.
© Copyright 2023 Hadair (odaocer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304010-The-Anger-Subsides