*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304032-Dance-with-me
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Satire · #2304032
A flash fiction piece about finding true love.
She doesn't look at me anymore. She won't talk to me. Even when I give her the spotlight in the conversation. She sits there, quiet, not responding.

I've tried everything. Flowers, she lets them wilt. Candy just sits and spoils. I bought her a new dress, her favorite floral design. It's still in the bag. I've searched my mind, heart, and soul for an answer.

Yesterday, one came. A spark of hope that I could win her back. It's time for me to lead and be a man. Take charge.

Why did such a powerful revelation come at the start of the workday? I shake my head in contempt of fate and its childish games. Time ticked down at a painfully slow rate. At the stroke of five, not a second later, I inserted my card into the slot for punching. It was time to go home and win the affection of my love.

I did just that; I rushed home. My car may have blown through a few stop signs. A minor crime compared to the offense of letting love dwindle. I waltzed through the front door and swept her off her feet. Like a black-and-white romance movie. I wish you could've seen it; you would've confused me for Clark Gable.

It's hardly believable, but she didn't fight back. She let me take her. We spun, and we twirled. Even when her hand fell off, she didn't protest. "I'm sorry, my love". We were so caught up in the moment neither of us cared. We locked eyes, oh how I get lost in those perfect blue eyes.

I handled it like a gentleman, you know. Before I dipped her, I gave her a warning, pressing my palm against the top of her head to prevent the wig from shifting. I was so confident in my wooing; I went in for a kiss. Nothing aggressive. I'm not a brute. Slow and affectionate. Her cold smooth lips breathed the fiery life into my soul I've been longing for.


The dancing and twirling continued until my legs couldn't take any more. We fell to the floor, and I snapped her hand back on. Somehow, my fingers landed on her thigh. I'm being sincere when I say it was an accident. But it was too late, I'm afraid. In that instant, it all changed. She stared at the ceiling, ignoring my advances. The mood melted away like ice on a hot summer day. No second base, no throes of passion, no cigarette and long talk.

Unfortunately, and I'm guessing a shock for you as well, it all fell through. Despite the plan's flawless execution, you and I are left puzzled by its failure. All I can say, friend, is that love is truly mysterious.


This morning she was cold again. I had to abandon my hopeless endeavor. There's a new department store on the south side of town. Plenty of lovely women hanging out by the front window. I may make an after-hours visit. Never give up on true love, my friends. Sometimes it's just knowing where to look.
© Copyright 2023 Eight-7 (eight-7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304032-Dance-with-me